Degrassi is a Canadian drama franchise with over 621 episodes across all incarnations. It follows the lives of a group of teenagers who attend Degrassi Community School and face various challenges in life.
Why It Rocks
- It tackles a lot of serious issues, like sex, teen pregnancy, bullying, date rape, drug abuse, body image, homosexuality, domestic violence, gang violence, child abuse, self-injury, murder, suicide, abortion, mental disorders, school shootings, and death.
- The theme song, "Whatever It Takes" is both catchy and inspiring. You can listen to it here.
- Good set designs, especially inside the school.
- Great acting, mostly from the teen cast.
- Compared to most films and TV shows where they cast young adults as teenagers, the teen characters were all played by actual teenagers.
- Likable and relatable characters, like Joey Jeremiah, Emma Nelson, Spinner Mason, Jimmy Brooks, J.T. Yorke, Toby Isaacs, Holly J, Clare Edwards, Alli Bhandari, and much more.
- Several cast members reprise their roles in recent episodes, like Spinner Mason, Emma Nelson, and Liberty Van Zandt.
- Plenty of good morals and heartwarming moments.
- Great character development, there are many bad characters who experience something that changes him/her, and they become better people.
- It sits perfectly in the middle between cynical and idealistic, having a fine combination of the two.
- It can be too preachy at times.
- Excessive amounts of queerbaiting.
- Some of the emotional moments are forced.
- There are some quantity over quality.
<comments voting "Plus"/>