Digimon is a Japanese anime series that first started in 1999 and still airs today. It is based off of a series of virtual pets created in 1997. The series encompasses virtual pet toys, anime, manga, video games, films and a trading card game. The franchise focuses on Digimon creatures, which are monsters living in a "Digital World", a parallel universe that originated from Earth's various communication networks. In many incarnations, Digimon are raised by humans called "Digidestined" or "Tamers" ("Chosen Children" in the Japanese version), and they team up to defeat evil Digimon and human villains who are trying to destroy the fabric of the Digital world.
Why It Rocks
- A ton of likable characters.
- Awesome designs, for both the tamers and the Digimon themselves.
- The Digimon themselves have 5 stages (In-Training, Rookie, Champion, Ultimate, and Mega; Rookie being the default), and they can digivolve whenever they want.
- Rotates their protagonists per season (Starting with Taichi "Tai" Yagami "Kamiya"), and still retain likable ones at that.
- Stays true to the original theme of Digital Monsters.
- Spawned pretty videos, which happened to be pretty decent.
- Epic soundtrack.
- A good balance between humor and serious moments.
- The movie wasn't well received