Garo (牙狼 -GARO- （ガロ）, "Fanged Wolf"), sometimes referred to as Golden Knight Garo (黄金騎士ガロ, Ōgon Kishi Garo), is a Japanese tokusatsu television series broadcast on TV Tokyo from October 7, 2005, to March 31, 2006, lasting 25 episodes (with one additional "Overview" special, summarizing the events of episodes 1 through 13, aired before episode 14). Since 2007, the show has also been aired in other countries such as Italy (on MTV), Malaysia (on 8TV), and Spain (on Canal Buzz). The show's HD remastered version was broadcast on TV Tokyo starting July 8, 2016. The television series is the first installment of the "GARO" metaseries, which is composed of several installments, including a live action television series, films, TV & film specials, and anime series. The television series has been licensed for a North American release by Kraken Releasing.
Since the beginning, mankind's malice created a dark energy (inga) that seeps into the Makai World. It's through that world that exists parasitic and predatory demons called Horrors. Ever hungry for more inga, they cross through the human world to possess and devour people to satiate their hunger. However, a group of people created the Makai Order to fight them. Consisting of priests and knights, they are the shadows that protect humanity from the Horrors.
Why It Rocks
- The concept of a tokusatsu show aimed at adults is very creative, and the show handles it very well.
- Very dark plot which fits well for the show premise.
- The costumes and props used in the show look very excellent.
- Likeable Characters like Kouga Saejima/GARO the Golden Knight, Kaoru Mitsuki, And Rei Suzumura/ZERO the Silver Fanged Knight.
- Great acting.
- Barago/KIBA the Dark Knight is a very tragic and badass main antagonist.
- Very great concept that is executed very well.
- Awesome action scenes that are choreographed very well.
- Decent special effects.
- It basically kickstarted the Garo franchise.
The ONLY Bad Quality
- While it's not a terrible episode, the episode Promise, is rather pretty weak as it was just a recap of what has occurred within the series, while it is reasonable it somewhat feels out of sync.