Hallowinx! (Winx Club)
Hallowinx! is the sixteenth episode of the second season of the Italians TV series Winx Club. It features the Winx Club going to Gardenia to participate to an Halloween party hosted by Mitzi, Bloom's neighbour and rival. This page is about the Cinèlume dub version of this episode, since it is practically a perfect translation of the original version and thus the most faithful dub to the original material.
Why It Rocks
- The title is a simple yet clever portmanteau of the words Halloween and Winx.
- Professor Palladium asking Flora to explain her midterms report about the Magical Dimension using her own words instead of reading it is an accurate depiction of professors' behaviour in high school and college.
- Students can relate with the scene when Professor Palladium asks Tecna to write a one-hundred pages report for the next day as a punishment for talking about the Halloween party during school.
- It features the debut of a new character, the pixie Jolly who is Livy's sister. She is a pixie who is skilled at reading the future using tarot cards who goes to Alfea to meet her sister Livy and advises her and the Winx not to go to Mitzi's party because she senses bad omens.
- It features a convincing ghost story regarding three evil sisters who made a deal with some witches in order to be able to exact vengeance for her murdered younger sister before disappearing. When the three sisters will return to announce the fourth sister's arrival the mirrors will crack as they walk by them. The fourth sister also has red eyes and her gaze is petrifiying.
- Good directing in the scenes when Jolly reads the future. The two sequences depict a rather gloomy and suspenseful atmosphere as Jolly proceeds to reveal more of her prophecy.
- Even if they were created for this episode, the tarot cards and their meaning look credible, such as the caravan representing young travellers if the sun is low and the frightened fawn card meaning danger over the travellers' heads.
- The three faceless sisters' appearance and their constant chant about how the fourth sister has red blood eyes, wears a white bone mask and her face is crawling with maggots is effectively scary for the target audience of the show and decently unsettling for adults.
- Awesome moments like the Winx revealing their fairy outfits at the party after a snobby Mitzi made fun of the coats they were previously wearing and Bloom magically undoing the effects Mitzi's mischief caused to her fairy outfit.
- Funny moments like the unintentional game of telephone at the start of the episode and Mitzi tripping on a rake moments after Stella mentioned how someone could easily trip over it.
- Mitzi is used as a main character for the first time in this episode.
- The final portion of the show features a unique chain of plot twists.
- There are many pop culture references like the mansion being called "Silent Villa" (which is similar to the title of famous video game horror series "Silent Hill") and many others, thanks to many people in the episode wearing Halloween costumes, most notably Kenny McCormick, Freddy Krueger and the Frankenstein monster. One of the best references are a talking black cat who briefly speak to Flora just before disappearing and a little witch flying on her broom right after that (Jiji and Kiki from "Kiki's Delivery Service"). There are also:
- a cake delivery guy wearing a Spider-Man costume who says "[I'm] just your friendly neighbourhood cake delivery guy";
- one of the party guests who looks like Doctor Sawaru Ogenki who says to Aisha "Hello hot stuff, if you're not feeling well come and see me. I am a doctor you know".
- A mysteriously-looking guest wearing a modern Van Helsing outfit who says he's from Romania and that he can't stand vampires.
- Another guest wearing a costume which reminds of Darth Vader who says that everyone has a dark side.
The episode holds a score of 8.8/10 both on IMDb and Tv.com and many YouTube users claimed this is their favourite episode of all the entire Winx Club. What viewers usually appreciate most are the frequent use of humor, Stella's funny dialogue and the many pop culture references that can be found in the episode.
- There are a few differences between the Cinèlume dub version and the 4Kids dub version of this episode. The 4Kids version's title is "The Fourth Witch" and the syringe the "nurse" at Mitzi's party is holding was removed for example.
- A few seconds of the episode's finale are featured in the music video of the song "Catch Us If You Can" from the musical compilation "Winx Club in Concert".
- Clips from this episode were used in the commercial for the Italian HalloWinx - Monster Mission dolls toyline. Most of the clips were edited to show the Winx wear the new Halloween customs the dolls have.
Here are the Cinèlume and original Italian versions of the episode, which are legally available to watch on YouTube.