Set in the United States wilderness around the end of the 19th century, Little Bear goes on exciting adventures and learns new things with his friends Duck, Hen, Cat, and Owl. Mother Bear is a homemaker who looks after Little Bear, while Father Bear, a fisherman, would typically be away on his ship, fishing.
Why It Rocks
- It was the very first preschool-oriented Nicktoon.
- Very imaginative for a slice of life cartoon, like traveling to the moon, exploring the ocean underwater, and playing pretend by dressing up and acting, are some of the great wonders of imagination.
- The traditional animation used in the show is nice to look at, especially coming from 90s animation standards.
- Good connection to the books, for example, “Little Bear’s Friend”, one of the books, is connected to the episode, “Little Bear’s New Friend”, when Little Bear meets Emily.
- The voice acting is very good, especially for 90's-2000's standards.
- Kristin Fairlie was great as Little Bear. She would go on to voice Bridgette in Total Drama, Carrie in Total Drama Presents: The Ridonculous Race, and Emma in Stoked.
- Jennifer Martini did a great job voicing Emily. She’s also known for playing Fergie in Goosebumps (TV Series) and voicing Young Celeste in Babar: King of the Elephants.
- The other animals had good voice actors too, most notably, Amos Crawley (who voices Arnold in the first season of The Magic School Bus) as Owl, Tracey Ryan as Duck, Andrew Sabiston as Cat, Elizabeth Hanna as Hen, Janet-Laine Green as Mother Bear, and Dan Hennessey as Father Bear.
- The cast is very likable.
- Little Bear is a small, curious and imaginative grizzly bear cub who is adorable, kind and sweet, and loves to play and explore with his friends and family.
- Emily is a cute little human girl, who’s best friends with the group, especially Little Bear, and she has a doll named Lucy.
- Owl is a sometimes pompous, yet very wise male owl, who likes to read, but does join playing games with his friends if they’re fun and sensible.
- Duck is a female duck who is smart and slow, and gets herself into comical situations, and loves playing with her friends, most notably, playing “princess” and pretend.
- Cat is a laidback, slothful male cat, who does have fun adventuring with his friends, but leads them to his shortcuts to get to places faster, he also likes to eat, play tricks and prowl at night.
- Hen is a fussy, feisty chicken who is classy, sophisticated and enjoys cleanliness, but never turns down the opportunity of fun with her friends.
- Mother Bear, Little Bear’s mother, is a nice and caring mother to her son, and great wife to Father Bear, she also enjoys cooking, cleaning, and is always there to help Little Bear when he needs it.
- Father Bear, Little Bear’s father, is a great husband to Mother Bear, and just as nice and caring to his son as she is, he is a fisherman and also takes Little Bear fishing sometimes, and he’s been to many places and likes to keep things that are old.
- The show is very cute, depending on your point of view, and this is a common trope with most Nick Jr. shows.
- The theme song, even though instrumental, is very good, and the intro was very cute and good as well.
- The movie it got was just as good as the show, as it showed the greatest adventure Little Bear has ever been on, befriending and helping another bear cub that’s very different than him, Cub, and facing an actual enemy, Trouble, a villainous mountain lion.
The Only Bad Quality
- It can become boring or tedious sometimes.
Little Bear received positive reviews from viewers of kids and adults, as it got a 7.3 on IDMB.