Masha and the Bear
Masha and the Bear (Маша и Медведь) is a Russian CGI cartoon created by Oleg Kuzovkov in 2009. The first episode went on the official channel in 2014.
A retired circus bear settles into the woods and prepares for a quiet new life surrounded by peace and tranquility until he is introduced to an adventurous little girl named Masha. The bear then becomes the fatherly figure of Masha and looks out for her when she goes on her mischievous adventures.
Why It Rocks
- Great CGI animation.
- How Masha drives the bear crazy is hilarious.
- Well-written and imaginative episodes.
- Great background design.
- Some very emotional moments. Most of the time, everything that needs to be said is already said without even any dialogue.
- All of the episodes are free on the show's offical YouTube channel, so it's not hard to get.
- Speaking of the show's YouTube channel, one of the episodes ("Маша+Каша") as of April 2018 reach 3 billion views and become one of the top 10 most viewed videos and first non-music video (even if that episode was upload on GetMovies channel (YouTube channel with all kind of enterteiment) rather than cartoon's ofiicial YouTube channel).
- The characters have plenty of spirit.
- Bear's patient efforts to keep up with Masha's antics is relatable to parents.
- The story is charming and easy to follow even if you don't speak Russian.
- While Masha is naughty and mischievous, she is still likeable as it's often shown that she cares for her friends and the Bear.
- Apart from Masha and the bear himself, the characters are very funny.
- Masha is adorable.
- In the rare moments where there is dialogue, the dialogue is awesome.
- Beautiful songs.
- The English dub isn't great. The lip sync is very off, but the voice acting is fine.
- The later episodes tend to get too mean-spirited to Rosy, Masha's pig.
- The animation in the earlier seasons isn't the best, with noticeable clipping errors.
One episode of Masha And The Bear "Recipe For Disaster" is currently the fifth most viewed video on YouTube and the most viewed non-music video on YouTube.