Rick and Morty
𝗪𝗔𝗥𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗚! 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝘁𝗶𝗰𝗹𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗡𝗦𝗙𝗪!
This article may contain content unsuitable for readers under the age of eighteen.
Rick and Morty is an American adult animated science-fiction sitcom created by Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon for Cartoon Network's late-night programming block Adult Swim. The series follows the misadventures of cynical mad scientist Rick Sanchez and his good-hearted but fretful grandson Morty Smith, who split their time between domestic life and interdimensional adventures.
After having been missing for nearly 20 years, Rick Sanchez suddenly arrives at daughter Beth's doorstep to move in with her and her family. Although Beth welcomes Rick into her home, her husband, Jerry, isn't as happy about the family reunion. Jerry is concerned about Rick, a sociopathic scientist, using the garage as his personal laboratory. In the lab, Rick works on a number of sci-fi gadgets, some of which could be considered dangerous. But that's not all Rick does that concerns Jerry. He also goes on adventures across the universe with his grandson Morty.
Why It Rocks
- It's scientific and it focuses on exploring universes, which gives the show infinite ideas on creativity.
- Great animation.
- Amazing adventures and hilarious satire.
- It's like Back to the Future but it's full of inter-dimensional adventures, and it's also a parody of Back to the Future.
- Rick and Morty have the best voice actors. Justin Roiland voices both Rick Sanchez and Morty Smith, and he even gets himself drunk to help portray Rick.
- Same thing goes for the Russian voice over translation, where Dima Sienduk (Дима Сыендук) voiced not only Rick and Morty, but also the rest of the show's character cast.
- Rick and Morty also appeared in the Simpsons through a couch gag one time, which might have shown the crew of The Simpsons might have done some research of the characters, and the show itself.
- Crazy death scenes.
- Easter eggs from Gravity Falls.
- Also has some great pop culture references, too. In the Season 1 episode, "Ricksty Minutes", Gazorpazorpfield parodies Garfield, and often times the pop culture references are often times satirical as The Simpsons.
- Really entertaining characters.
- Amazing action-packed scenes.
- It is one of the very rare shows on [adult swim] to have a Japanese dub. Go on YouTube to check out a couple clips on the show dubbed in Japanese.
- Really creative black comedy.
- Over-the-top satirical violence that even the show pokes fun at sometimes.
- The more dramatic scenes are well done.
- It has some pretty interesting philosophical questions in relation to coming of age, mediocrity, loneliness, death, and ect.
- Lots of memorable quotes like "I'm Pickle Riiiickkk!", "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub", ect.
- The show's frequent nihilistic tone, along with how the characters constantly go through the perception that life is meaningless and should just accept that as it is can make the writing come off as immature and dumb.
- Some of the aliens are very poorly designed.
- The character designs and backgrounds look very weird, though this may be intentional.
- The animation, while great, can be choppy at times and isn't the best in some episodes, such as in the pilot.
- Jerry can be an unlikable character.
- Frank Palicky is a rip off of Henry Bowers from It, he tries to scar Morty just because of his family and never gets punished when Rick frozed him and killed him for that.
- The show kinda went downhill in Season 3, though it has improved in Season 4.
- On the topic of Season 3, Rick is turned into an overpowered character and is suddenly "the smartest man in the universe". This makes a lot of the dramatic fight sequences less impactful since Rick will just pull a scientific device out of nowhere and kill almost everyone around him. This is especially weird since in the episode "Look Who's Purging Now" he is wounded and robbed by a teenage girl. It also doesn't make sense for him to be the smartest man since he found someone whose equally as intelligent as him in the episode "The Ricks Must Be Crazy" and the show only started calling him this in Season 3.
- It spawned many Easter Eggs from Gravity Falls due to being friends to the creator himself.
Rick and Morty has been considered to be one of the best modern adult cartoons, holding a 100% Tomatometer from critics, and currently holds a 9 on IMDB.