A Canterlot Wedding (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
A Canterlot Wedding is the 2-part Season 2 finale from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
Twilight learns that her brother, Shining Armor, is getting married to "Princess Mi Amore Cadenza". While Twilight is excited for her brother, he also has concerns, because Twilight does not know a "Princess Mi Amore Cadenza" and is mad at Shining Armor for marrying someone she doesn't know. Shining Armor assures her that "Princess Mi Amore Cadenza" is Princess Cadence, who used to foalsit Twilight when Twilight was a filly. When Twilight reunites with Cadence, she notices that Cadence isn't acting like the caring, friendly and loving princess that she knew back when she was a filly.
Why It Rocks
- The episode introduces Shining Armor, who is Twilight's older brother and the leader of the Royal Guard, and Cadence, who is the princess of love, the protector of the Crystal Empire and happened to be Twilight's foalsitter.
- The episode even introduces Queen Chrysalis, who was a very threatening, scary, bug-like pony, who posed as a fake Cadence in order to marry Shining Armor herself and have Shining Armor for her own personal needs.
- Very heartwarming (or heartbreaking) moments like the song B.B.B.F.F., and Shining Armor telling his sister Twilight not to attend his wedding since she upset "fake" Cadence.
- It is the first ever MLP episode to have detailed fight scenes. The fight scenes themselves are epic and iconic, such as the magic battle between Celestia and Chrysalis and the battle between the Mane 6 and the Changelings, which quickly turned into one of the most iconic moments of MLP.
- Apart from B.B.B.F.F., the songs are beautifully written and performed, such as This Day Aria and Love Is In Bloom.
- The episode would often change pace from the typical MLP episode, sometimes going into darker territory, most notably the moment where Chrysalis surrounds Twilight in green fire and walks away with a demonic smile on her face as Twilight drowns in the fire into the cave, kept there as prisoner along with the real Cadence.
- The first part, while pretty good, has a very mean-spirited moment, like when Celestia and Twilight's friends scold Twilight out for accusing Cadence of being evil. In their defense, Twilight has been known to freak out over small things, and she didn't really give any evidence to show Cadence really being evil. Also, wedding preparations are very, very stressful to some of the fans. However, on the other end of the spectrum, it never really occurs to Twilight's peers to give her accusations any consideration, which completely contradicts the lesson they learned in "Lesson Zero" about taking your friends' concerns seriously. Plus, it is safe to assume that Twilight really had no way of providing any solid evidence in this case.
- Biggest Plot Hole: Why would Celestia telling Twilight and her friends to use Elements of Harmony to defeat Queen Chrysalis and her Changelings when they don't use it?
- While the "Do a little shake" was a meme, the shot shows Twilight's flank for 1 second, which was considered a little inappropriate.
- The infamous "Do a little shake" scene which it became an internet meme.