A Certain Magical Index
A Certain Magical Index ( とある魔術の禁書目録インデックス Toaru Majutsu no Indekkusu) is a anime based on the Light Novel of the same name by Kazuma Kamachi. It aired October 4,2008-April 5,2019. It is well known for its well executed concept of science and magic and holy wars taking place in a modern-day world.
Why It Rocks
- Very well written story of how science and magic blend in with each other in a modern-day world and factions of churches go out in an all-out world with espers and rival magicians.
- Very likable and relatable characters such as Touma Kamijou who wants to find out the meaning of the blending of science and magic of the world and helps others by giving them a question of the solution and situation.
- Well executed mix of serious themes and humor and even relates to the character's personality and traits.
- The concepts such as Index being a nun of a church with many Grimoires inside her and clone sisters of Mikoto Misaka are very well executed as they make very interesting sub-plots and backstories of the Toaru universe.
- Very good English and Japanese voice acting.
- Well composed background music as it fits the religious and science themes and mood of a scene such as when religious or magic powers are being used it'll use a battle-church mixed music.
- Great character designs, animation and art.
- Very good opening and ending themes that fit for each arc of the series.
- It shows that even if you are considered to have low strength. You can be stronger and overcome the power of others and learn their weaknesses.
- It spawned side-stories that focus on characters such as Accelerator and Mikoto Misaka that expand and flesh out the stories and fix plot-holes of the series.
- Very relatable and well done character development especially Stiyl Magnus, Kaori Kanzaki and Mikoto as they first act harsh and hostile towards Touma. Later on they start to help him and learn the truth of the mixture of magic and science, churches and opponents that they'll face.
- Most of the villains are very interesting from their backstories and motivations of why they either want that person or use science/magic for their gain and goals.
- Very great special effects in fight scenes.
- It can get slow paced early though it gets faster later on.
- As at times with J.C. Staff. Some animation inconsistencies such as low quality faces when the camera is not zoomed at the character's faces.
- Index and Mikoto while interesting and likable, can get annoying at times and often pesters Touma to do something for them and their Tsundere attitude can get a little too harsh at times.
- It can get a little mean-spirited towards Touma at times which in most cases he mostly has bad luck and gets attacked by his friends and allies or a minor event such as his dorm's food going bad.
- The series at times doesn't do the original Light Novel justice.