Aaahh! Real Monsters
Aaahh!!! Real Monsters is an American animated television series developed by Klasky Csupo for Nickelodeon. The show focuses on three young monsters — Ickis, Oblina and Krumm — who attend a school for monsters under a city dump and learn to frighten humans. Many of the episodes revolve around them making it to the surface in order to perform "scares" as class assignments.
The series premiered Saturday, October 29, 1994 at 11 am on Nickelodeon. It ran at total of 52 episodes over 4 seasons and the last episode aired December 6, 1997.
The episodes follow the adventures of Ickis, Oblina and Krumm, three young monsters attending a monster school whose headmaster is The Gromble.
The show is set in New York City, demonstrated throughout the series by the presences of the Empire State Building and an Independent Subway System. The dump the monsters inhabit is implied to be Fresh Kills Landfill, but never explicitly named in the series. The monster community includes a working economic system using toe nails as currency.
Why It Rocks
- Great animation with nostalgic visuals for other classic Nickelodeon shows.
- The plot is quite original, even for 1990's standards.
- Awesome voice acting.
- Decent and smooth writing.
- Catchy theme song.
- Nice eerie-sounding music that fits the dark tone of the show.
- It's Nickelodeon's done-right version of Ren & Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon.
- Hilarious jokes.
- Likable characters, such as Ickis, Oblina, and Krumm.
- It has some gross-out humor and disturbing moments.
- Somewhat ugly character designs.
- Some episodes were pretty bad.
- The pacing isn't very good.
- Ickis can be unlikeable at times.