Adventure Time is an American animated television series created by Pendleton Ward for Cartoon Network. The series follows the adventures of a boy named Finn (voiced by Jeremy Shada) and his best friend and adoptive brother Jake (voiced by John DiMaggio)—a dog with the magical power to change shape and size at will. Finn and Jake live in the post-apocalyptic Land of Ooo, wherein they interact with other major characters, including: Princess Bubblegum (voiced by Hynden Walch), the Ice King (voiced by Tom Kenny), Marceline the Vampire Queen (voiced by Olivia Olson), and BMO (voiced by Niki Yang). The series is based on a 2007 short produced for Nicktoons and Frederator Studios' animation incubator series Random! Cartoons. After the short became a viral hit on the Internet, Cartoon Network commissioned a full-length series, which previewed on March 11, 2010 and officially premiered on April 5, 2010.
The series draws inspiration from a variety of sources, including the fantasy role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons and video games. It is produced using hand-drawn animation, and action and dialogue for episodes are decided by storyboarding artists. Because each individual episode taking roughly eight to nine months to complete, multiple episodes are worked on concurrently. The Adventure Time cast record their lines in group recordings and the series regularly employs guest actors for minor and recurring characters. Each Adventure Time episode runs for about eleven minutes; pairs of episodes are often telecast to fill half-hour program slots. Seven seasons of the program have finished aired. An eighth season premiered on January 23, 2017, and the show has also been renewed for one additional ninth season.
Since its debut, Adventure Time has been a ratings success for Cartoon Network, with the highest-rated episodes having attracted over 3 million viewers. The show has received positive reviews from critics and—despite being aimed primarily at children—has developed a following among teenagers and adults. Adventure Time has won awards including six Primetime Emmy Awards, a Peabody Award, three Annie Awards, two British Academy Children's Awards, a Motion Picture Sound Editors Award, a Pixel Award, and a Kerrang! Award. The series has also been nominated for three Critics' Choice Television Awards, two Annecy Festival Awards, a TCA Award, and a Sundance Film Festival Award, among others. A comic book spin-off based on the series won an Eisner Award and two Harvey Awards. The series has also inspired various clothing items and related merchandise, video games, comic books, and DVD compilations.
On September 29, 2016, it was announced that the series would conclude in 2018, after the airing of its tenth season (actually its ninth season, but Cartoon Network counted season 5.2 as season 6).
On September 3, 2018, the show aired its series finale named "Come Along With Me."
Why It Rocks
- Fluently drawn animation and art style.
- Awesome stories.
- Brought so many talents to a lot of voice actors in the series such as Jeremy Shada, Tom Kenny, John DiMaggio, Hynden Walch, etc.
- Great voice acting.
- Finn and Jake are likable main characters, and the Ice King is a hilarious anti-hero.
- Numerous homages to Dungeons & Dragons, video games, and vintage sci-fi/fantasy art.
- More likable characters to come alongside Princess Bubblegum, Marceline the Vampire Queen and the rest of the old and new cast.
- Creative doodles (drawings).
- It has 3 TV movies that are 8-episode miniseries each inside of a series such as Stakes, Islands, and Elements.
- Catchy soundtrack, especially the theme song itself.
- Awesome heroic actions like fighting off The Lich.
- It got a Mash up Pack in Minecraft, and a Minecraft themed special was released in July 2018.
- Changes animation in some specials, like one episode where it is animated in stop-motion, and one animated in CGI.
- Some episodes are really emotional like "Simon and Marcy", "I Remember You", and "Incendium".
- Had 10 seasons in the time span of 8 years.
- This show may be over, but a non-canon continuation is available in comic book form.
- HBO Max had exclusively stream 45 minutes-long specials, starting in 2020, focusing on the main cast in the aftermath of the finale (With the exception of BMO since it took place before the events of the series).
- In later seasons, some people may feel like they have to binge watch the entire series just to understand what's going on in one episode.
- Some characters can get disturbing or unlikable like James or Donny.
- It had some bad episodes like Dream of Love, but not a lot!
- Most overseas Cartoon Network feeds heavily censor the series for content.
- Cartoon Network UK cut the story-arc of Finn losing his arm and banned it from the UK, infuriating many viewers from the country.
- Cartoon Network Australia censors were particularly harsh on the series, cutting out words as innocuous as "shucks" or "rascal". Some episodes had as much as two minutes of content cut for content (namely "Storytelling").
- Lemongrab (despite that he appears in some episodes) can be very unlikable since he can be a bit mean-spirited, annoying, noisy, childish, immature, bratty, stubborn, high-strung, over-zealous, obnoxious, and cruel.
- His constant "UNACCEPTABLE!" screaming, although funny and iconic, can easily annoy a lot of people due to it being ear-pearcing.
- This show was originally going to air on Nickelodeon, but one of the workers said "it was too weird".
- Hynden Walch, voice actress of Princess Bubblegum, is also the voice of Starfire on Teen Titans.
- Mordecai from Regular Show has made a cameo appearance in the episode “Ketchup” because the bird in the episode looks exactly like him, but he isn’t the actual character.
- He even said his signature catchphrase, "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!"