Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (often abbreviated as AoStH) is an American animated television series that was first broadcast on syndication in September 1993, and later on Toon Disney in 1998. It marks as the first animated series of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise.
The show follows the adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and his friend Miles "Tails" Prower as they attempt to stop the evil Dr. Ivo Robotnik and his array of vicious robots from taking over the planet Mobius.
Why It Rocks
- The animation is decent despite it being made on a low budget.
- The voice acting is okay.
- Great and memorable characters like Sonic and Dr. Robotnik, along with Scratch and Grounder and even Coconuts. Along with some sympathetic side characters here & there as well.
- There are plenty of funny, spontaneously goofy, and silly moments.
- The show had some nice heartwarming moments here and there.
- Great or engaging (if somewhat cheesy) episodes.
- Every episode always have a so-bad-its-good vibe due to how ridiculous and insane each episode can get.
- The "Sonic Says" segments at the end of an episode are usually hilarious by some of their weirdness and still teach good lessons at the same time.
- Nice soundtrack, especially the opening theme and Dr. Robotnik's theme.
- The animation style has somewhat of a throwback to classic cartoons of the 1930's and 40's from the Golden Age of Animation such as Bob Clampett, Tex Avery, Max and Dave Fleischer, as well as a few others like the evidently wild if simplistic backgrounds like in Ren & Stimpy.
- Mostly great designs on the characters, including Sonic, Tails and Robotnik, in which the three of them stay true to their designs in the original source material.
- The characters can be annoying at times.
- There have been many overly weird and insane moments that can get irritating or slightly lowbrow, especially in the show's final episode, “Sonically Ever After”. Some scenes can be a little too dramatic or overly hammy as well.
- Bad episodes can appear at times. There can also be some really cheesy or plain nonsensical episodes as well.
- Likewise, some of the "Sonic Says" segments have misleading life lessons. Like how you shouldn't call 911 if you are being attacked, and it's better to be in an abusive family than to have no family at all. That's not true at all, as abusive families are one of the causes of depression and criminality.
- The animation quality varies depending on the studio, and there are occasionally errors from it being rushed, like in SatAM. Especially when some elements of animation seem like they have no structure to it. Also, the background designs can sometimes look choppy, lazy or rushed, especially by DiC animation standards.
- Some of the minor characters also have incredibly weird looking or just bland designs.
- The show that created meme culture such as Robotnik's theme song & PINGAS (+ Some of Sonic's facial expressions), "SnooPINGAS usual I see!", a trend called "Hot sticky fluids", and Sonic saluting someone and saying "Hamburger".
- The "Pingas" (from "Boogey-Mania"), "I'll have to give myself a PRRROMOTION!" (from "Tails' New Home"), Robotnik's big "NO!" and Sonic's "That's no good!" (both from "Lovesick Sonic") memes helped rise videos called YouTube Poops, a type of video where certain stuff is added to make it funny.
- Sonic the Hedgehog's design is based on the American box art of the Sonic the Hedgehog games illustrated by Greg Martin.
- The "Sonic Says" segments were never shown in the UK.