Angry Kid is a British 1-minute short live action and stop motion adult animated comedy web series created, directed, written, and designed by Darren Walsh (who also provides the voice of the title character) and produced by Aardman Animations for Series 1 and 2 and by Mr Morris Productions for Series 3 and 4. Unlike most Aardman productions, Angry Kid was not created using clay animation but a combination of pixilation (using actors in a form of stop motion puppetry) with masks for facial expressions. Series 3 onwards uses CGI for Angry Kid's head, along with live action. The series also aired in the United States on MTV.
Series 1 and 2 have been released on DVD in the UK and Australia. All the Angry Kid animations from before the third series were on Atom.com before the site was absorbed into Comedy Central. A compilation DVD called Aardman's Dark Side was also released, and it contains several Series 2 episodes and an exclusive episode. The vast majority of Angry Kid has since been released on YouTube.
Series 3 was launched in July 2015 after an 8-year hiatus. The first episode 'Interview' aired on 3 July. Series 3 is produced by Mr Morris Productions with episodes being aired on Angry Kid's official YouTube page with a new episode being uploaded every 3 weeks. Series 4 launched on 10 September 2019.
Skits with the antihero with a foul-mouthed attitude who gains enjoyment out of irritating others.
Why It Rocks
- Surprisingly, Aardman trying out pixilation after Rex the Runt was well executed.
- Angry Kid (AKA: Stanners) himself is a funny character.
- Lots of funny and memorable quotes.
- The music videos of Angry Kid rapping are decent.
- The series had been going on non-stop for an impressive 22 years.
- Him interacting with the audience in the YouTube comments is a nice touch.
- Even Hans Zimmer worked on this series!
- Weird but wonderful character designs.
- Little Sister is a cute character.
- The pixilation can be a bit off at times.
- Angry Kid and Little Sister's dad sometimes can be mean spirited. Although it is understandable since Stanners annoys him most of the time.
- The title of the show is kind of false advertising because Stanners isn't clearly an "angry kid", he's just a simple troublemaker who most of the time annoys everyone he knows (including his Dad) despite his foul mouth.