Back at the Barnyard
Back at the Barnyard is a Nickelodeon 3D computer-animated television series that is a spin-off from the 2006 film, AMW The series premiered on September 29, 2007 on Nickelodeon. The show is produced by Omation Animation Studio, in association with Nickelodeon Animation Studios. The last episode aired on November 12, 2011 on Nicktoons.
Why It Rocks
- Compared to the film it was based on, it was a major improvement.
- Very hilarious moments, such as Pig abruptly interrupting each episode to break the fourth wall in a humorous and charming way.
- Otis' relationship with Abby the cow is very interesting to watch.
- Plenty of likable characters, such as the main animals: Otis, Abby, Bessy, Pip, Pig, Freddy, Peck and Duke.
- The theme song is very catchy.
- Some endings are either really good or very funny.
- Very intimidating main antagonists, such as Snotty Boy and Mrs. Beady.
- Original and creative stories and plots, such as Otis, Freddy and Pig dressing up as girls and ending up dating Snotty Boy and his friends in the episode "Some like it Snotty".
- Talented voice acting, especially from Wanda Sykes, Tino Insana, Cam Clarke and Rob Paulsen.
- Great jokes.
- Intelligent and clever writing.
- The CGI animation (the one used for Jimmy Neutron) has not aged well.
- It kind of ignores the theme of the original movie it was based on, and Otis still acts immature, despite knowing that he can't anymore.
- Characters from the film, like Daisy, Miles the mule, Maddy the chick, Lil' Ben, and the fan-favorite, Biggie Cheese, were left out without any explanation.
- Chris Hardwick's impression of Kevin James can be annoying at times.
- Some bad episodes such as Dummy and Dummier and Man’s Best Fiend.
- This show is notorious for reusing character models.
- Despite the voice acting being talented, Christ Hardwick, Leigh-Allyn Baker, Cam Clarke and Rob Paulsen almost voice everyone in the show who's not Otis, Abby, Freddy, or Peck.
- Bessy can be considered a mean-spirited character because of how she sometimes intends to be harsh to the other characters. And to get the elephant out of the roof, because of her sassy behavior and speaking in an African-American accent, she may also be stereotypical as well.
Back at the Barnyard received mixed reviews, but has attracted a cult-following. Many people remember the show for it's memes. It is considered to be one of the most underrated Nicktoons of all-time.
- This show was put on hiatus on September 18, 2010. This is possibly due to Omation Animation Studio was focused on Jimmy Neutron spin-off, Planet Sheen. This show, however, aired on Nicktoons from September 12 to November 12, 2011.
- This show has infamously spawned some internet memes such as "Viewer Mail Time" and "Ask Dr. Pig".