Ben 10 (2005)
Ben 10 is a 2005 American animated sci-fi action-comedy series created by Man of Action (a group consisting of Duncan Rouleau, Joe Casey, Joe Kelly, and Steven T. Seagle), and produced by Cartoon Network Studios. The series is about a 10-year-old boy named Ben Tennyson who gets a watch-like alien device called the "Omnitrix" (the prefix omni means all). Attached to his wrist, this allows him to transform into various alien creatures. He then uses these powers to fight evil from Earth and space. The show premiered on December 27, 2005 and ended on April 15, 2008.
Ben Tennyson, a ten-year-old boy, goes on a summer vacation with his cousin Gwen Tennyson and his grandfather Max Tennyson. During a stop at a campsite, a meteor crashes next to their vehicle, the "Rustbucket". Ben inspects the meteor and, while doing so, a high-tech advanced device attaches itself to his left arm. He quickly discovers that the device allows him to transform into ten distinct aliens. With this new device he calls the "Omnitrix", Ben battles villains from both Earth and outer space.
Why It Rocks
- Interesting premise.
- The aliens that Ben can transform into are designed well and cool. Also, Ben gets more aliens as the series goes on so it doesn't get repetitive.
- Lots of good action and comedy.
- Easy eye designs on Ben and Gwen.
- Great story.
- Some of the most hilarious moments for the series.
- An example being some funny scenes where Ben transforms into fusions of two aliens, like Stink Arms, Diamond Matter, and Heat Jaws.
- Interesting dynamic with Ben, Gwen and Grandpa Max.
- Gwen gets magic powers in the middle of the series.
- Vilgax is a great villain.
- You get to see Ben 10,000, the future version of Ben, who has unlocked 10,000 aliens and the "Master Control" for the Omnitrix (for obvious reasons, you won't see more than about 10-20 aliens).
- When Ben unlocks the "Master Control", he gets to switch between all of his aliens at will at any time.
- Beautfiul anime-influenced animation.
- Unforgettable and catchy theme song.
- Great worldbuilding with the alien species and planets, which in turn gives the franchise a very interesting lore.
- Top-notch sound design, with every single sound effect sounding awesome and memorable.
- Great voice acting, with every casting choice sounding perfect.
- Ben 10: Alien Force, Ben 10: Ultimate Alien and Ben 10: Omniverse are good sequels to the original series.
- It’s TV movies GMW and Destroy All Aliens were all good too.
- Gwen and Ben's bickering can get out of hand at times.
- There's are some bad episodes, such as Side Effects.
- Gwen Tennyson, despite being a great character, is somewhat of a Mary-Sue.
- Some jokes can be mean-spirited.
- Tara Strong, the actress who played Ben Tennyson, has reprised her role in the 2017 reboot.