Jump to navigation Jump to search
Berserk (1997) is the first anime adaptation of the long and current running manga series. It was very well received by fans and critics, despite several changes from the source material.
Why It Rocks
- Amazing visuals and animation.
- The story, while it's not fully adapted and several things are changed, is still well-written.
- Likable characters, even if Guts is arrogant. His past shows why he acts arrogant and harsh towards people.
- The dub is well-done and most of the English dub quotes fit the medieval setting of the series.
- It's one of the few anime that challenges the stereotype of "cartoons are just for kids!".
- Very good designs of the Apostles (the demons of the series).
- The ending theme fits the tone and atmosphere of the series.
- The medieval setting is portrayed very accurately as it shows the gritty times of the Middle Ages.
- As said in the 2nd WIR point, it didn't fully adapt the story. The adaptation ended at Volume 13, Chapter 6 of the manga.
- Like many adaptations, Some elements from the manga where changed as some of the most brutal scenes where censored.