Bom Dia & Cia (1993-2003, 2005-2010)
Bom Dia & Cia (also known as Bom Dia & Companhia) is a morning children's television block that airs on SBT and also the children's TV show in more time on display in Brazil being on air since August 2, 1993.
It is known for its featuring several popular cartoons such as Tom and Jerry, Scooby-Doo and others often coming to rival other children's programs as TV Globinho and Band Kids. Currently the program displays evidence interacting with viewers via phone connections allowing them to prizes such as computers, video games and toys.
Why It Rocked
- It aired many good cartoons, mainly during the years 1993-2003 when the channel had a variety of cartoons from Disney, Warner, DIC Entertainment, Cartoon Network and even Nickelodeon. Among the cartoons that aired on the block in that period were: Tom and Jerry, Tom and Jerry Kids, The Powerpuff Girls (1998), Ed, Edd n Eddy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Dennis the Menace, Dennis and Gnasher (1996), Rugrats, Doug, Recess, Pepper Ann, 101 Dalmatians: The Series, The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Goof Troop, Mickey Mouse Works, House of Mouse, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin: the Series, Hercules, The Legend of Tarzan, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, Static Shock, X-Men: Evolution, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, ThunderCats, Bobby's World, Mega Man (Ruby-Spears), Care Bears, Sonic SatAM, Sabrina: The Animated Series, The Pink Panther Show, Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies, Tiny Toon Adventures, Taz-Mania, Duck Dodgers, The Mask: Animated Series, Popeye the Sailor, Woody Woodpecker and The New Woody Woodpecker Show, Super Friends, Jabberjaw, Wacky Races.
- Is one of the memorable most Brazilian children's blocks ever created in the Brazilian television, along with TV Globinho and many others.
- To this very day, is the long running Brazilian children's block in the Brazilian television with +5000 episodes, since its premiere in 1993.
- A lot of well known and great hosts that the block had during its history as Eliana, Jackeline "Jacky" Petkovic, Yudi Tamashiro, Priscila Alcântara and Maisa Silva.
- The backgrounds (except during 2005-2010) were very creative and well-made.
- Catchy opening songs (except during 2005-2010) and incredible soundtrack composed by the presenters, most notably Eliana, with many of the songs being sold in physical media by LPs and CDs.
- The opening used between 2006-2009 (although not having any music) is very creative showing several cartoon characters entering a house (being very similar to the Cartoon Network bumpers of the City era).
- The block also have their own support characters, which are also great:
- The puppets from the Eliana and Jacky eras (1993-2003) were very amazing, especially Melocoton.
- Seu José and his parakeet Chico Minero were very good, especially when they gave messages and Chico Minero kissed the messages to the program participants over the phone.
- Santa Claus always appears during Christmas days.
- Has good games to the viewers play in the block calling to the block's famous phone number or virtually via Skype.
- The prizes that viewers win from the block's games are awesome, especially when it comes to PlayStation.
- Had funny moments, coming from the block's former hosts Yudi, Priscila and Maisa.
- The years 2005-2010 (although there weren't as many new cartoon debuts as in previous years) became very memorable among fans for the debut of new shows like Naruto, Ben 10, Teen Titans, Winx Club and Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends.
- During these years with the success of Naruto the channel also tried to redeem itself with the public debuting anime (since the channel always ignored or sabotaged the anime broadcast before that) debuting on the block One Piece (despite they aired the infamous 4Kids version) and Blue Dragon (unfortunately with a bad PT-BR dub done in the United States).
- Some good cartoons that debuted during the awful years of 2003-2005 remained in the block, like: The Zeta Project, Krypto the Superdog, Codename: Kids Next Door, Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi and What's New, Scooby Doo?.
- Despite having good hosts throughout its history, it also has bad hosts that are not memorable like Jéssica Esteves, Kauê Santin, Bozo the Clown, Matheus Ueta, Ana Vitória Zimmermann, Ana Júlia Souza and Silvia Abravanel. In the case of Silvia, she is considered by the block's viewers as the worst host the block had, due to the horrible things she did on the block.
- In 2003, SBT was facing a financial problem that resulted in a decline in the program's budget with Jackeline having to present Bom Dia & Cia alone in a much smaller setting until she was replaced at the end of the year by Jéssica and Kauê which resulted in the first downhill between 2003-2005.
- The block has entered another downhill since 2010 when there was a huge decline in quality with the program format becoming saturated and repetitive, besides, the new presenters who appeared replacing Priscilla and Yudi were terrible. The worst example being when director Silvia Abravanel became a presenter from 2015 onwards.
- It aired some bad cartoons series like Pink Panther and Sons, Baby Looney Tunes, Pinky, Elmyra & the Brain, Bonkers, Sonic Underground, Pound Puppies (1986), My Gym Partner's a Monkey, Squirrel Boy, The Tom and Jerry Comedy Show, Teamo Supremo, and others.
- Naruto’s broadcast was very controversial, mainly because the anime was the most aggressive and mature series to have aired on the block which caused the indicative rating to be changed to +10, even with Maisa (one of the presenters) at the time being less than 10 years old. Naruto also never aired completely.
- When the second season of Naruto debuted there were some poorly-made censorships, for example: there was an attempt to digitally remove Asuma's cigarette (but the censorship was very evident, because you could still notice the silhouette of the cigarette appearing: https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iLss9glXoqo/SpWHh0qfOTI/AAAAAAAAAFg/ImSkSpvpbaY/s400/Naruto+81.jpg), despite the fact that the cigarette appeared normally when the first season aired.
- Some of the cartoons the block airs are excessively rerun, the most infamous example being X-Men: Evolution that since it debuted on the block in 2002 has NEVER left the block for more than a decade becoming a massive example of the trope "Adored by the Network". Justice League was also another example.
- Tom and Jerry also had excessive reruns on the channel during the years 2007 and 2010, as a way of trying to compete with the audience of Woody Woodpecker on Rede Record. This got to the point where Tom & Jerry even had ONE HOUR daily marathons!
- What's New, Scooby Doo? also became a example of the trope "Adored by the Network", when it comes to the Scooby-Doo franchise as a whole with the series prior to this one having its reruns increasingly reduced, and the subsequent series receiving a bad treatment in the channel.
- The Greens, the animated characters that debuted in the 2009 intro, are shameless rip-offs of the character Sackboy from the game, LittleBigPlanet. One of the Greens is even a naked character who has a black censorship bar covering their private parts, which seems very inappropriate for a children's show. The characters have already had merchandising, but unlike previous characters like Melocoton, the Greens' products did not sell well.
- Depending on your point of view, the years 2005-2010 were not very good, especially when compared to the high variety of educational attractions, characters and cartoons that of the years 1993-2003.
- Bom Dia & Cia was renamed Eliana & Cia in April 1997 and premiered on May 12, 1997. The reason why the block was renamed, was because Silvio Santos decided to change the block's name, to him was important to evidence Eliana's name. It lasted until September 11, 1998, because Eliana signed a contract with RecordTV on September 17, 1998, to debut a month later on October 12, 1998, Eliana e Alegria on RecordTV.