Bunk'd (Seasons 1-2)
Bunk'd is an American comedy television series created by Pamela Eells O'Connell that premiered on Disney Channel on July 31, 2015 and is a spinoff of Jessie. Seasons 1 and 2 both consist of 21 episodes. Season 1 premiered on July 31, 2015 and ended on May 20, 2016. Season 2 premiered on August 23, 2016 and ended on May 24, 2017.
Since Jessie’s moved away and gone off to Hollywood, 3/4 of the Ross Kids make their way to Maine where they have wild adventures at Camp Kikiwaka.
Why These Seasons Rock
- These seasons are a nice follow up from Jessie, as the Ross Kids have grown up and become more mature.
- The Ross Kids are still their old and charming selves.
- The new characters are very likable and have diverse personalities.
- Lou is a tomboy farmer girl.
- Tiffany is a child prodigy.
- Jorge is a goofy and fart-fueled boy.
- Gladys is a cynical camp runner.
- Hazel is Gladys' crazy niece and Emma’s new rival.
- Xander is Emma’s guitar playing boyfriend.
- Griff is a former juvenile delinquent with a heart of gold.
- The Ross Kids being at summer camp is an interesting concept.
- Decent acting.
- There are lots of funny and memorable moments, such as the running gag of Hazel competing with Emma for Xander's affection and the Woodchuck Cabin’s salute.
- Xander is a great love interest for Emma.
- The show also has some serious and emotional moments.
- In "Dog Days of Summer", Lou finds out her dog died and almost leaves camp because of said reason.
- In "Xander Says Goodbye", Xander's father wants him to leave camp to do football training and Emma doesn't want him to leave.
- In "Live From Camp Kikiwaka", Emma, Xander, and Lou host a live stream to save the camp from closing down.
- The theme song is amazing and well-sung by Kevin Quinn.
- Even though he’s not the main character, Luke guest stars in the episode, "Luke's Back" and "Luke Out Below".
- Speaking of which, "Luke Out Below" was Cameron Boyce's final role as Luke Ross before AMW.
- Other characters from Jessie return as well, such as Bertram in "Griff is in the House!" and Christina Ross in "Mother May I?"
- Awesome and realistic looking set designs.
- Unlike most modern Disney Channel sitcoms, the laugh track is actually well used and doesn't play at almost every line.
- These seasons teach good morals, such as "real friends are better than online friends", "don't judge a book by its cover" "and work as a team".
- It is the first Disney Channel spin-off to have more than 4 seasons, though Seasons 3, 4, and 5 weren't well received. And it's also the first Disney Channel show to reach 5 seasons.
- Jessie has never returned for a guest appearance in the show.
- A few of the characters can be unlikable at times, such as Gladys, Hazel, Jorge and Zuri.
- There is some occasional toilet humor.
- Like in Jessie, Emma is still a dumb blonde stereotype.
- "Camp Kiki-slasher" and "Fog'd In" can be scary for younger viewers.
- The Season 2 finale, "The Great Escape", only aired once on TV. Luckiky it can be watched on FWW.
- In Season 3, Xander, Tiffany, Jorge, Gladys, Hazel (though she made a guest appearance in Season 4) and Griff (Season 2) are removed without any explanation and are replaced with three pointless new characters, Destiny, Matteo and Finn. To make matters worse, said characters from the first two seasons aren't even mentioned, like they never even existed in the first place!
- Season 4 is even worse, as Emma, Ravi (although they did guest appearances in Season 5) and Zuri are removed from the series entirely, more pointless characters are introduced: Ava, Gwen and Noah and from this season onwards, Bunk'd is now considered its own separate show rather than being part of the Jessie franchise.
- Season 5 is no better, if not worse, as Gwen is removed without any explanation and another pointless character is introduced, Parker Preston, whose is extremely annoying and unlikable.
- It is the first Disney Channel show to reach 5 seasons.
- Cameron Boyce sadly passed away on July 6, 2019, at just 20 years of age.