Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs is an American/Canadian animated television series produced by De Souza Productions, Galaxy Films and Nelvana, which aired on CBS Kids in the United States from 1993 to 1994, lasting for one season of 13 episodes. It is based on Xenozoic Tales by Mark Schultz.
The series followed in the year 2513 and exploits of Jack Tenrec and his crew of ecological freedom fighters known as the "Mechanics". His often-reluctant companion is the foreign ambassador Hannah Dundee. She hires Jack as a liaison, while she attempts to create clear communication between her land and the modern civilization. Together, they confront the serious issues facing the futuristic environment that humanity has come to inhabit which has prehistoric animals roaming the land once again. Jack also has Hermes, a juvenile "cutter" that Jack hand-reared after the latter's mother's death. Gentle with Jack and Hannah, he can still be rather fierce when angered. The show also includes a race of intelligent lizards called "Griths". Jack and his crew square off against opposition, including the Council of Governors and Hammer Terhune's gang.
Why It Rocks
- It was the first fully animated series to be based on a comic series. In fact, it was a good way for Nelvana to start making animated series based out of comic books.
- Great voice acting, even from Susan Roman, Lenore Zann and Don Franks.
- Great animation even for 1993 standards. In fact, the animation is a love letter to many 90's shows. (thanks to the help of Nelvana!)
- Likable characters, such as the main characters themselves such as Jack Tenrec and Hannah Dundee who both do a great job protecting humanity and even prevent deforestation.
- Mustapha Cairo is also a good character who not only an engineer, but he also helps Jack on his quest to stop Scharnhorst and the Terhune's plans.
- Speaking of villians, the villians themselves are good as well such as (stated above) Scharnhorst, Hammer, Vice, Wrench, Mikla, and Dr. Fessenden.
- The dinosaurs themselves also being their charm from the pre-historic period, but the only difference is that the Hermes is the only gentle dinosaur in the post-apocalyptic world than the rest of the dinosaurs.
- The theme song is very decent with it's more upbeat and appealing tone.
- It stays faithful with the comic book series, Xenozoic Tales.
- Good character designs, despite being different to the comic series.
- Great-to-decent storylines.
- Even shares some good lessons of taking care of the environment in several episodes.
- The series has been also made into several toys from TYCO.
- The humor in the series is fairly decent, especially Dr. Fessenden.
- It can get mean-spirited at times.
- Some of the character personalities can get annoying at times.
- Jack Tenrec (while likeable) can be mean-spirited towards Hannah sometimes.
- Despite having stellar ratings and positive reviews from critics, the series wasn't renewed for a second season making it end with an unresolved cliffhanger.
- The series was popular in Canada, France, Italy, and even the United States.
- The series has even dubbed into certain languages such as German, French, Italian, Korean, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Slovak, and Russian.
<comments voting "Plus"/> []