Carmen Sandiego (2019)
Carmen Sandiego is an animated series in the Carmen Sandiego franchise. It premiered on Netflix on January 18, 2019.
The titular female returns in this series that follows her new international capers, as well as past escapades that led to her becoming a superthief.
Why It Rocks
- Extremely beautiful, fluid animation and backgrounds provided by Chromosphere Studio, who also animated some Steven Universe Dove shorts.
- Interesting characters, including Carmen herself, who is more heroic this time around and is similar to Robin Hood.
- The villains are also worth noting, as they all have a unique relationship to Carmen, especially Shadow-san for reasons we won't mentions due to spoilers (watch for yourself!)
- Catchy theme song.
- Manages to be a rare educational show for older children, cleanly weaving educational facts about the world into every episode.
- Ensemble cast of voice actors.
- Stays relatively faithful to the original shows and video games.
- If you complete the To Steal or Not to Steal interactive special, you get rewarded with the entire cast singing an acapella song about Carmen.
- After first 3 seasons, The final Season is finally here!.
- The Dark Red Caper was a good way to end the series.
- Takes some liberties with the source material.
- The third season was too short, having just five episodes, whereas the first season had nine episodes and the second one had ten.
- To make matters worse, despite that the second season indicated that the next season would consist on seeking answers about Carmen's mother, only the first episodes of the third season focused on that storyline and later put it aside.
- Some can feel that the series finale, despite answering the show's questions, felt a bit anti-climatic, given that the V.I.L.E. faculty was apprehended with little effort.