Cars Toons is a series of computer-animated short films produced by Pixar Animation Studios and Disney Television Animation for their second collaboration, following the 2000-01 animated television series Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. It features the main characters Lightning McQueen and Mater from Pixar's Cars franchise. Larry the Cable Guy reprises his role as Mater while Keith Ferguson replaces Owen Wilson as the voice of Lightning McQueen (until The Radiator Springs 500 ½, where Owen reprises his role). The show has been on a long hiatus since 2014.
Why It's Either Lyin' or Cryin'
- Great CGI animation that stays true to the Cars movie's looks, and which proves that Pixar is really good at animating TV shows/shorts too.
- Great voice acting too, a major example is with Keith Ferguson being a suitable replacement for Owen Wilson as Lightning McQueen.
- The characters' likability is untouched: Mater is still pretty funny, and Lightning is still as humble as he was in the end of the first Cars movie.
- Decent pacing here and there.
- The humor is hilarious.
- Tales from Radiator Springs was really fun to watch, and brought some fresh ideas to the table:
- "Hiccups" was the episode that made Sally new to the show, and it was also the first time she kissed Lightning on-screen, which was cute and nice to see for a change. Also, Lightning hiccupping is funny.
- "Bugged" was also the only one without any dialogue, and it does feel very nice. Red’s interaction with the bug is pretty cute and funny.
- Mia and Tia return for this series as Mater's fans instead of Lightning's fans.
- Entertaining and creative stories for each episode.
- Mater telling the history about himself was really interesting for a change.
- The intros are very fantastic.
- Lightning joining in the story Mater is in, is pretty funny.
- The theme music is fun to listen to.
- "Time Travel Mater" was a great way to end Mater's Tall Tales, as it focused on Stanley, Lizzie, and Mater, respectively, two years before the series itself ended.
- The tuners (from the first Cars film) make a cameo appearance in "Tokyo Mater".
- The Radiator Springs 500 ½ is considered the best of the episodes, as well as "Time Travel Mater" and "Air Mater".
- Speaking of Air Mater, Skipper and Sparky (who were from the later 2013 DisneyToon film "Planes") make an appearance, which is just a perfect touch considering Planes is from the World of Cars.
- Mater's famous line "Don't you remember? You were there, too!".
- The pacing can get too fast at times.
- Some characters don't have as much screen time, not even the rest of the Radiator Springs gang (besides McQueen and Mater), but fortunately this got changed in "Tales from Radiator Springs".
- If exhaustive, as said at the very last part of first, the show has gone on a long hiatus since 2014, following The Radiator Springs 500 1/2.
- Lightning McQueen was delivered a big middle-finger at the end of "El Materdor" when Mater said, "Suit yourself!" when Lightning didn't believe him and got chased by a bunch of bulldozers.
|Pixar Animation Studios|
Toy Story - A Bug's Life - Toy Story 2 - Monsters, Inc. - Finding Nemo - The Incredibles - Cars - Ratatouille - WALL-E - Up - Toy Story 3 - Cars 2 - Brave - Monsters University - Inside Out - The Good Dinosaur - Finding Dory - Cars 3 - Coco - Incredibles 2 - Toy Story 4 - Onward - Soul - Luca - Turning Red - Lightyear - Elemental
Theatrical short films:
The Adventures of André and Wally B. - Luxo Jr. - Red's Dream - Tin Toy - Knick Knack - Geri's Game - For the Birds - Boundin' - One Man Band - Lifted - Presto - Partly Cloudy - Day & Night - La Luna - The Blue Umbrella - Lava - Sanjay's Super Team - Piper - Lou - Bao
Purl - Smash and Grab - Kitbull - Float - Wind - Loop - Out - Burrow - Twenty Something - Nona
Mike's New Car - Jack-Jack Attack - Mr. Incredible and Pals - Mater and the Ghostlight - Your Friend the Rat - BURN-E - Dug's Special Mission - George and A.J. - The Legend of Mor'du - Party Central - Riley's First Date? - Marine Life Interviews - Miss Fritter's Racing Skoool - Auntie Edna - Lamp Life - 22 vs. Earth - Ciao Alberto
Mater's Tall Tales:
Rescue Squad Mater - Mater the Greater - El Materdor - Tokyo Mater - Unidentified Flying Mater - Monster Truck Mater - Heavy Metal Mater - Moon Mater - Mater Private Eye - Air Mater - Time Travel Mater
Tales from Radiator Springs:
Hiccups - Bugged - Spinning - The Radiator Springs 500½
Toy Story Toons:
Hawaiian Vacation - Small Fry - Partysaurus Rex
Forky Asks a Question:
What Is Money? - What Is a Friend? - What Is Art? - What Is Time - What Is Love? - What Is a Computer? - What Is a Leader? - What Is a Pet? - What Is Cheese? - What Is Reading?
To Fitness and Beyond - Unparalleled Parking - Dory Finding - Soul of the City - Fluffy Stuff with Ducky and Bunny: Love - Chore Day the Incredibles Way - A Day in the Life of the Dead - Fluffy Stuff with Ducky and Bunny: Three Heads - Dancing with the Cars - Cookie Num Num
Squirrel! - Puppies - Flowers - Smell - Science