Central Park is an American musical animated sitcom created by Loren Bouchard (who also created Bob's Burgers), Nora Smith, and Josh Gad for Apple TV+, originally created for the Fox Broadcasting Company. The series debuted on May 29, 2020. The series revolves around a family living in Central Park who must save it from a greedy land developer.
Told through the eyes of a busker named Birdie, the musical series tells the story of the Tillerman–Hunter family who live in Edendale Castle in Central Park. Patriarch Owen, who is the dorky manager of the park, his wife Paige, who is a journalist constantly stuck with writing fluff pieces and hopes to write a real story, their daughter Molly, who loves drawing comics about herself and a boy she has a crush on, and their son Cole, an emotional young boy who loves animals. Their lives change when an elderly heiress and entrepreneur named Bitsy Brandenham, and her constantly abused assistant Helen, plot to buy up all the land in Central Park and turn it into more condominiums, shopping stores and restaurants as a way of getting back at the world. The Tillermans must also deal with their own issues and save the park.
Why It Rocks
- The songs seem like Broadway numbers and make you want to get up and dance.
- Likable characters, especially the Tillermans who are a well written representation of mixed race families.
- Great animation which really shines during the musical numbers.
- It's mostly clean compared to most adult cartoons, and could even be mistaken for a kids show.
- Birdie provides exposition without being annoying.
- It is Josh Gad and Loren Bouchard's love letter to New York.