Chowder is an American animated television series created by C. H. Greenblatt for Cartoon Network. The series follows an aspiring young child named Chowder and his day-to-day adventures as an apprentice in Chef Mung Daal's catering company. Although he means well, Chowder often finds himself in predicaments due to his perpetual appetite and his nature as a scatterbrain. It is animated with both traditional animation as well as short stop motion and puppet sequences that are inter-cut into the episodes, and that run over the end credits. Stop motion sequences are produced by Screen Novelties.
The series plot revolves around the titular character Chowder, an aspiring young cook in Chef Mung Daal's catering company. Though he is lighthearted and carefree, Chowder's actions habitually land him in circumstances out of his control, partly due to his hunger and absent-mindedness. His caregivers, Mung and Truffles Daal, as well as Shnitzel, a rock monster who works for Mung, and Kimchi, Chowder's gaseous pet, try to aide Chowder in his ambitions to become a great chef, but they frequently find themselves undermined by the calamitous antics that ensue. Chowder is also undermined by Panini, a girl who has an unrequited love for Chowder, going so far as to say that he is her boyfriend despite the pair not dating.
Why It Rocks
- Simple, yet charming animation.
- Amazing voice acting.
- Various clever and funny food names.
- Many likable characters like Chowder (most of the time), Panini, Mung and Schnitzel.
- Catchy theme song.
- Very good and heartwarming finale episode.
- It is highly creative, as it uses several different styles of animation such as puppetry, stop motion, and traditional animation.
- It was one of Cartoon Network's best shows during the infamous CN Real era along with The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack and Total Drama.
- Decent plots, such as Chowder trying to help Gazpacho with his jokes.
- Great use of fourth wall break and idiom humor.
- The line in "The Elemelons", YOU BETTER START LEARNING WOMAN!
- It even spawned some internet memes.
- Chowder often caused trouble with his stupidity, which makes him sometimes unlikable.
- Some episodes get mean-spited to some characters (especially Schnitzel, who's frequently violated to this).
- Tons of gross-out graphics
- Some unlikable characters, especially Truffles and Ms. Endive.
- The forth wall breaks can get way too far.
- "The Lollistops" episode was not well-received by fans due to pointless filler, plotholes, and that disturbing and hard to watch scene.
- Bubbles and Mrs Bellem from The Powerpuff Girls made a cameo appearance in one episode.