Jump to navigation Jump to search
Code Geass is an anime made by Sunrise. It had 2 seasons and many OVAs and films. It was formerly licensed by Bandai USA and now licensed by Funimation. Just like Neon Genesis Evangelion it was well known for being innovative for the Mecha genre.
Why It Rocks
- It criticizes the idea of imperialism, elitism, corruption and conquest as they can cause a country to lose its freedom and power to protect and serve for it's people.
- Very well written story as it's an alternate history where the British Empire fled to collonial America (which lost the War for Independence) after Napoleon took over Europe, which takes control of Japan, forcing the people to lead a rebellion for the country and it's people.
- Great voice acting in both Japanese and especially the English Dub as Johnny Young Bosch did a very well done job of voicing Lelouch.
- Very good animation and unique art style by CLAMP, especially since this anime was made in 2006.
- Very well written and likable characters even Lelouch as he uses his powers to kill his enemies and interrogate others for information for his goals and power to lead the rebellion. His intelligence has helped many of his friends and Nunnally to defeat the Britannians.
- The powers of the Geass are very interesting as though they're very powerful. They have strong limitations which require great strategy.
- It gives us the messages of moral dilemmas such as that if we shall kill the people that took our freedom and lead a rebellion to use great power to stop the ones conquering and controlling us.
- Awesome opening and ending themes.
- Well composed background music that fits the theme and tone of the scenery present.
- Though the art style is unique, some people might find the proportions of the characters strange and a bit deformed.
- Some characters (like Nina Einstein (altrough she redeemed herself at the end of the series) for example) can be obnoxious.
- The way how it portrays chess has been heavily criticized by actual chess experts.