Count Duckula is a British animated comedy horror television series created by British studio Cosgrove Hall Films and produced by Thames Television as a spin-off from Danger Mouse, a series in which the Count Duckula character was a recurring villain. Count Duckula aired from 6 September 1988 to 16 February 1993 across four series; in all, 65 episodes were made, each about 22 minutes long. All have been released on DVD in the UK, while only the first series has been released in North America.
This show should not be confused with the short lived 1979 Quacula which was produced by Filmation and appeared as part of their Mighty Mouse and Heckle and Jeckle cartoon hour.
Count Duckula then reappeared in the 2015 TV Series of Danger Mouse.
Count Duckula is 17th in a long line of reincarnations of the titular vampire duck, but due to an accident in the resurrection ritual involving ketchup being used in place of blood, he awakens as a kind-hearted vegetarian who wants to become an entertainer. Alongside his butler Igor (who really wishes the Count would be more like his more evil ancestors) and well-meaning but stupid nurse Nanny, Count Duckula pursues various get-rich-quick or entertainment schemes while also avoiding the threat posed by insane vampire-hunter Doctor Von Goosewing.
Why It Rocks
- It has the same animation as Scooby-Doo and it's very decent.
- The theme song is actually very nice and catchy to listen to as well.
- Count Duckula is actually pretty funny such as a couple quotes he says in some episodes such as "Family Reunion"
- Funny and likable characters such as Nanny, Dimitri and Dr. Von Goosewing.
- Great depictions for people who like funny jokes and vampires.
- Excellent writing.
- Awesome voice acting, including the narrator himself being a great voice actor.
- Lots of funny jokes and humor and a lot of great episodes like "Ducknapped".
- Duckula himself, (though he is sometimes annoying to some people) is the main reason why the show was a huge hit and he's the main reason why the show can actually be enjoyable at times. David Jason actually did a great job playing as Duckula.
- It's a nice take on to the old Nickelodeon cartoons as well with a mix with the Danger Mouse series.
- Nanny can be pretty unlikable at times.
- Some jokes can get old pretty quickly.