Cowboy Bebop is a neo-noir sci-fi space western anime released in 1998 during a time when anime was starting to get real popular in the west during the late 90s and was the "gateway drug" to anime fans in the west.
The main story is about 4 bounty hunters named Spike, Jet, Faye and Ed, along with their pet Corgi Ein, who travel around the Milky Way galaxy looking for one bounty after another, barely making it out in each episode.
Why It Rocks
- Awesome characters with a deep ambiguous mysterious backstory for each of them. Especially Spike and Vicious.
- Intense action.
- Great animation even in today it still looks amazing.
- Funny moments.
- Tragic overarching story.
- Wild west setting in a futuristic world.
- Amazing jazz music by Yoko Kanno.
- Intense spaceflights.
- Ein the dog is the reason why many Welsh Pembroke Corgis are named Ein because of how smart and cute he is.
- Excellent voice acting, especially in the English dub.
- Many pop culture references and the episode Ballad of Fallen Angels is a massive tribute to John Woo.
- The ending is tragic and ambiguous.
- Incredible dialogue especially from Spike.
- Well-balanced serious and comedic moments.
- The slow pace is very well executed and is used to keep the series to be very interesting.
- The Movie was just Great & Relaxing to Watch
- Ed can get a bit annoying.
- We never get to know if Spike survived or not in the final episode, but most people think that he is dead.