DEATH BATTLE! is a very popular web-based video show hosted by "Wizard" (Ben Singer) and "Boomstick" (Chad James) presented by ScrewAttack. The show pits two or more fictional characters from different medias such as movies, comics, manga, television programs, literature, video games, and even PSAs and create a simulated battle to the death. The characters are analyzed with their respective powers, strengths, and weaknesses, to determine a winner. The show's first season has 25 episodes. The first 18 episodes were featured exclusively on ScrewAttack's YouTube account, and starting with episode 19 the series is now posted to the redesigned Screwattack.com, with a delayed posting of past fights to their YouTube page.
Season 2 premiered on May 31, 2013, more than four months after the first season finale. The season ended on December 15, 2015, with a total of 32 episodes for the season, bringing the total number of DEATH BATTLE! episodes to 57.
Season 3 premiered on March 16, 2016 in order to focus on finding more staff to expand their series. The season ended on December 21st, 2016, with a total of 14 episodes for the season, the shortest season so far, bringing the total number of DEATH BATTLE! episodes to 71.
Season 4 premiered on February 1, 2017 with the first fight revealed in January 2017. The season ended on December 20th, 2017 with a total of 16 episodes, bringing the total number of DEATH BATTLE! episodes to 87.
Season 5 premiered on February 7, 2018. The season ended on December 19th, 2018 with a total of 16 episodes, bringing the total number of DEATH BATTLE! episodes to 103.
Season 6 premiered on February 6, 2019. The season ended on December 18th, 2019 with a total of 16 episodes, bringing the total number of DEATH BATTLE! episodes to 119.
Season 7 premiered on January 26, 2020 and ended on December 28th 2020 with a total of 20 episodes; 4 more than the previous 3 seasons, bringing the total number of DEATH BATTLE! episodes to 139.
Season 8 will premiere March 8, 2021.
On February 4, 2019, ScrewAttack announced that they changed the name of the channel to keep up with the YouTube landscape.
Why It Rocks
- Much more serious and well-animated than Cartoon Fight Club.
- Extremely well-animated fights made by very talented animators. (Even battles in Season 1).
- Well-done analysis for every fighter.
- Different match-ups that fans dream of like Mario VS Sonic and Batman VS Spider-Man.
- Wiz and Boomstick's dynamic is great and they have great exchanges during the analysis.
- They actually take the time to analyze what a character can survive, how strong they are, and more!
- They make videos on a consistent schedule.
- They can take the simplest of match-ups and intensify the fight.
- Starting around episode 83, they stopped using music from series the fighters are from and use original music which sound great and also tie in with the fighters. Also, the ones with lyrics are total bangers!
- Insomniac Games actually approved of Ratchet & Clank VS Jak & Daxter.
- Starting around episode 100, Wiz and Boomstick actually show their faces, meaning that we can see what wacky shenanigans they're up to!
- It's always fun when a 4th wall breaking character enters DEATH BATTLE!, because they can interact with the hosts (e.g., Deadpool, Pinkie Pie, the Mask).
- They can admit when they're wrong. For example, in the "Android 18 VS Captain Marvel" episode, they made a miscalculation on Android 18's speed and Ben addressed that in the comments section.
- They host Q&As on their podcast (DEATH BATTLE Cast) that really help you understand why the battle turned out the way it did.
- They let fans suggest matchup ideas for future episodes with an "OFFICIAL DEATH BATTLE SUGGESTION FORM".
- The writers behind the show take criticism very well. As they have decided to establish more specific rules to ensure fairness in their fights.
- They like to include nice inside jokes that poke fun at their more controversial episodes.
- Despite being owned by Rooster Teeth. they've proven themselves to be impartial when Weiss lost to Mitsuru, when Blake got her insides brutally clawed out by Inuyasha, and when Yang got burned alive by Bakugo.
- While Wiz and Boomstick's Season 7 redesigns might take some getting used to, they're a definite upgrade over the original models since their movements are way less robotic.
- Of the 100+ official episodes that has been released, only 12 have been generally considered wrong by the VS community, and the vast majority of incorrect verdicts are from Seasons 1 and 2, A.K.A. before the show drastically overhauled and improved the quality of their research.
- Rogue VS Wonder Woman
- Bomberman VS Dig Dug
- Master Chief VS Doomguy
- Pikachu VS Blanka (it is commonly agreed that Pikachu should’ve speedblitzed)
- Captain America VS Batman
- Gaara VS Toph
- Guts VS Nightmare
- Yang VS Tifa
- Mega Man VS Astro Boy
- Bowser VS Ganon
- Sasuke VS Hiei
- Hulk VS Broly
- Season 1's animation is sub-par when compared to Seasons 3-6.
- Season 1-2's research is very flawed.
- DEATH BATTLE! can sometimes be right for the wrong reasons. For example, in the Mario VS Sonic rematch episode, they downplayed and left out a majority of Sonic's feats, even though they could've just used their own research team's perfectly good reasoning as to why Mario would win. (The episode is still good though!)
- Sometimes they get facts wrong. For example, in the "Godzilla VS Gamera" episode, they state that in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993), Godzilla was killed by Mechagodzilla after getting his secondary brain merely destroyed and before being revitalized by Rodan's energy. However, this is false since Godzilla was just paralyzed, so he was not killed.
- The reason for characters fighting can be very stupid sometimes. For example, Namor attacks Aquaman just because he splashed him with water.