Dengeki Sentai Changeman
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Dengeki Sentai Changeman (電撃戦隊チェンジマン Dengeki Sentai Chenjiman, lit. Blitzkrieg Squadron Changeman) is the 9th series of the Super Sentai series. It aired from February 2, 1985 to February 22, 1986, running for 55 episodes.
Why It Rocks
- This season introduces the following firsts in the super sentai franchise.
- The very first female White Ranger (Sayaka Nagisa/Change Mermaid)
- The first and currently only sentai season to have a Pink and White ranger incorporated into the core team rather than interchanging with one another.
- The first Red Ranger with a dragon motif (Change Dragon)
- The first sentai season to have a core team be based on Mythological creatures.
- Shou Hayate/Change Griffon is a really badass Black sentai ranger, and is one of the few changeman to have some proper character development, as well as having some of the best fight scenes throughout the show.
- Hiryuu Tsurugi/Change Dragon is the only changeman that ever had a proper backstory, as it was stated that he used to be part of a baseball team before his Earth Defense Force days and as well as rescuing and befriending an Alien in his childhood days.
- Commander Yui Ibuki is one of the greatest sentai mentors of all time, even though at first he was a cruel and harsh commander, who later grew to be a more caring and kind-hearted commander, and his true origins is quite a bit shocking.
- The Great Star League Gozma are some of the most developed threats in the franchise (notable examples being Booba, Shiima, and Ahames), mostly due the show focusing more on it's villains (similarly to Juken Sentai Gekiranger).
- Speaking of Shiima her backstory quite pretty decent.
- The theme song is quite very catchy and has a pretty nice jazz tone into it.
- The ending theme is somewhat passable for the most part.
- The Fight scenes are pretty entertaining to watch, and is pretty decently choreographed.
- The interior of the Earth Defense Force base looks pretty badass, and has rather a somewhat unique futuristic feel to it.
- The MoTw designs are quite silly and ridiculous, however once you see them in the battlefield there is no doubting that they aren't something to be messed around with.
- Because of the fact that the Gozma take up so much focus, the Changemen themselves are very bland and forgettable characters (aside from Hiryuu and Shou)
- Mai Ooishi/Change Phoenix may be the worst of them all. Though despite being portrayed as a tomboyish and tough character, she ultimately ends up as a bright and girly stereotype, who is far from tough as nails.
- Not to mention she had pretty annoying episode to her name which is the infamous 26th episode.
- The suits are very plain and lackluster, mostly being one color with the addition of a white vest that makes the torso look super segmented.
- Star King Bazeu is the worst sentai main villain ever created in the franchise, not to mention that Bazeu isn't even a major threat, his true origins will make you ROFL of thinking that a "fearsome" villain's origin is as pathetic and stupid as his, and the way he hides his true form is via the stupidest thing ever imagined through illusions.
- Their mech: ChangeRobo, may be even uglier with it having a giant rocket-shaped head and a gross looking color scheme
- The finale (despite being decent) was very underwhelming, and the final battle with "Star King Bozo" was extremely lame and lack-lusting to watch.
- Even though it's not noticed very often but at times Sayaka's fight scenes tend to be inappropriate to younger audiences, due to the continuous shots of her panties, the worst offender being the 31st episode.