Dinosapien is an American/British/Canadian children's television program produced jointly by BBC Worldwide and Cambium Catalyst International with SEVEN24 Films.
Overall 15 episodes were made, each 21 and half minutes long (30 minutes total when factoring in commercials). The series is filmed in Bragg Creek, Alberta. The program made its debut on March 24, 2007 on Discovery Kids and CBBC. The series ended on June 30, 2007. Each program contains around six minutes of CGI. Brittney Wilson stars as Lauren Slayton, Suzanna Hamilton as Dr. Slayton and James Coombes as the villain, Dr. Aikens. Because of the Native Americans role in the series, the show could possibly be loosely based on Turok.
The program focuses on what would happen if dinosaurs had continued to exist and evolve into more intelligent beings (Lauren mentions in the opening credits "Everyone thinks dinosaurs are extinct, but what if they're wrong?"). It is set at Dinosaur Explorer Camp, a dinosaur-themed summer camp in Canada, where Dr. Hillary Slayton lives with her teenage daughter Lauren. Dr Slayton's husband Alan mysteriously disappeared on a fossil expedition into the Badlands and her daughter hasn’t come to terms with his disappearance. Lauren is, however, the first human to encounter one of the evolved dinosaurs, which she eventually gets to know. Throughout the series Dr. Slayton befriends Dr. Aikens (who later turns villainous) and Lauren makes lots of friends before finding out more about dinosaurs and her father's disappearance.
Why it Rocks
- Interesting concept and premise.
- The Dinosaur characters are great to see.
- Good character developement and interactions.
- Fun plot and characters.
- The relationship between Lauren and Eno is great.
- There are some really good moments in this series.
- Eno's design can be cringeworthy to some people.
- There's only three Dinosaur characters in this series: Eno and the two Diggers.
- Only lasted one season with 15 episodes.