Disney's One Saturday Morning/ABC Kids (pre-2006)
ABC Kids (formerly Disney's One Saturday Morning until 2002) was a Saturday morning cartoon block produced by Disney for ABC that ran from September 13, 1997, through August 27, 2011. The block's most popular and well-known original shows include shows like Doug, Recess, and Pepper Ann.
It should not be confused with the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's block for pre-schoolers, which is also called "ABC Kids", that was also renamed "ABC For Kids" in 2009-2015.
Why It Rocked
Disney's One Saturday
- Since Disney bought ABC corporate parent Capital Cities/ABC Inc. in 1996, it was a good idea to add a Saturday morning block.
- Great Disney shows such as House of Mouse, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, The Legend of Tarzan, and The Weekenders, and some non-Disney shows such as The Bugs Bunny & Tweety Show, which that show is one of the long-running Saturday Morning shows to ever air, not just for 1997.
- The commercials were pretty cool back then.
- The hosting and interstitial segments were entertaining.
- It was not only just the best program, but also one of the best Disney programs.
- It was so popular, it even got a spin-off block called Disney's One Too on a different network called UPN.
- It also added the shows from Disney Channel, such as Even Stevens, Lizzie McGuire, and The Proud Family.
- Awesome intro and theme song.
- Much like One Saturday Morning, it did have some of the best programs by Disney.
- The block's shows were mostly Disney Channel reruns like The Proud Family, Kim Possible, That's So Raven, Lilo & Stitch: The Series (although this show actually debuted on this block), Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, The Buzz on Maggie and The Suite Life of Zack & Cody, various Power Rangers (which was aired on the block during the Disney era), the other new program was Fillmore!, as well as the non-Disney programming NBA Inside Stuff.
- The intro is good as well as the commercials, bumpers, promos and marathon were good to watched back then. The website was also pretty good to play games and check some stuff like downloads.
- Despite going downhill in 2006, they aired 3 new series from Disney Channel such as The Emperor's New School, The Replacements and Hannah Montana.
- Other Disney shows were Recess (from One Saturday Morning), Teamo Supremo (although bad), and W.I.T.C.H..
Disney's One Saturday Morning
- It went a bit downhill in late 2000/early 2001 when they removed most of the shows that were still airing at the time, as well the hosting and interstitial segments.
- In 2006, the block dropped shows like Kim Possible, The Proud Family, Lilo & Stitch: The Series and Phil of the Future from their lineup. Speaking of which, they never got a chance to air some shows like Dave the Barbarian, Brandy & Mr. Whiskers and American Dragon: Jake Long, and in their final years they showed nothing but reruns of their shows.
- They aired the 2010 reversion of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and it was poorly received. It was the last series, before Saban brought back the rights from Disney.