Ditto's Mysterious Mansion (Pokémon The Series: Original Series)
"Ditto's Mysterious Mansion" (Japanese: メタモンとものまねむすめ "Metamon and the Copycat Girl") is the 37th episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on December 9, 1997, and in the United States on October 26, 1998.
Ash, Misty and Brock seek shelter in an old house and learn that it's no ordinary building; the gang is not alone in the house, as they meet Duplica and her mysterious Ditto.
Why It Rocks
- This was a fun filler episode, where it introduced a good character, Duplica, who’s a pretty good imitator.
- The plot of the filler is well-done, with the story of a Ditto who can transform, but it’s face stays the same, with Duplica trying everything she can to help it imitate faces.
- The beginning was fun, as the gang went into Duplica’s "House of Imite", where they meet Duplica and the mysterious Ditto.
- The music is amazing, and fits really well with the episode, as usual.
- The quick battle Ash had with Duplica shows that Ditto is a tricky battler, as Bulbasaur was quickly stuck, shocking Ash and the others.
- It was nice that Ash thought about what it means to be a Ditto trainer, and that it’s pretty hard.
- Great animation in its time, especially for the Indigo League season as usual.
- Many hilarious moments in the episode, like with Ditto’s face staying the same on everything it transformed into until it got it right, and the imitations that the gang makes on Team Rocket.
- The costumes Duplica had all looked good on her, and the Team Rocket one also looked good on her and the rest of the gang.
- Team Rocket are funny as always in the episode, and they actually helped Ditto imitate faces, much to Duplica’s happiness.
- Even when Team Rocket tried to do the trick after Ditto perfected imitating faces, Duplica noticed that the real Meowth was in her hands, and throws him back to their balloon as they try to fly away, and the Ditto bites Jessie, forcing her to let go in pain, and Ditto went back to Duplica.
- Duplica’s Ditto is impressive, as it shows off what other Ditto’s can do, transform into anything, not just other Pokémon, one of the best examples is when it transformed into a cannon.
- Team Rocket faced their hilarious defeat as always, as the Ditto cannon fired Pikachu as them, as the net was fired, and Pikachu used his Thunder Shock to hit them, and caused Meowth to accidentally claw their balloon in pain, and send them blasting off again.
- Heartwarming moments between Duplica and her Ditto.
- A good ending where Duplica re-opens her House of Imite, ready to perform again with her Ditto, and the gang bids her farewell as they continue their journey.
- A funny moment during the ending where Team Rocket tries to dress up Meowth like a Dratini, only for them to argue and fight each other.
The Only Bad Quality
- Brock commenting that Duplica’s Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny disguises, while good, doesn’t capture the adult charm of the real Joy and Jenny, is a pretty sour comment.
"Ditto's Mysterious Mansion" was met with positive reception among fans and critics. It was scored an 7.6/10 on iMDB.com.
- This is the first time that Ash and his friends mock Team Rocket’s motto completely.
- Duplica claims that Ditto is the only Pokémon that can use Transform, but Mew shares this ability. However, since Mew was at this point a secret Pokémon, the writers probably made Duplica not know about Mew's existence.
- It is revealed that Ditto can also transform into inanimate objects like books, photo-frames, etc.
- It is also revealed that Ditto cannot transform into a Pokémon from a picture, so there must be a real one around for it to imitate.
- Also, since it gains all the abilities of the Pokémon it transforms into, if that Pokémon has learned to speak human language then Ditto can temporarily gain that ability for itself.