Don't Hug Me I'm Scared
Don't Hug Me I'm Scared (often abbreviated to DHMIS) is a surreal musical horror comedy web series created by British filmmakers Becky Sloan and Joseph Pelling. It consists of six episodes, released from 29 July 2011 to 19 June 2016 through the artists' website, YouTube, and Vimeo. The series combines segments in live action, puppetry, traditional animation, and computer animation.
Each episode revolves around Yellow Guy (and his father Roy Gribbleston), Red Guy and Duck Guy meeting one or several anthropomorphic characters, who begin a musical number related to a basic concept of day-to-day life with an upbeat melody similar to that of a nursery rhyme. As each song progresses, it becomes apparent that its moral or message is nonsensical or self-contradicting, and that the "teacher" character has ulterior or sinister motives. The climax of each episode typically involves a shock element with use of graphic violence, and sometimes other coercive or warped themes. Later in the series, the characters begin questioning the nature of their reality and the bizarre messages of the teachers.
Why It Rocks
- The concept about a horror parody from puppetry edutainment shows like Sesame Street is an interesting idea.
- Spawned some internet memes, like "Green is not a creative color" and "That's not enough time!".
- The moments before the gore and creepiness are pretty educational, which is nice.
- A bunch of well-hidden details that will make theorists interested.
- The plot twists are quite disturbing by surprise.
- The fourth-wall break in DHMIS 4 is creative.
- The mysteries and lore is well put together.
- The puppets' designs are pretty creative.
- The animated segments are good.
- The songs are great overall.
- Some very disturbing scenes, like the scene in DHMIS 2 where the main three turn into rotting corpses, or the one in DHMIS 5 where Duck Guy gets his organs eaten by a can of food.
DHMIS got a 8.2 on IMDB.
- The people who worked on this show later worked on The Puppet, an episode of The Amazing World of Gumball.