Dragon Ball (Japanese: ドラゴンボール Hepburn: Doragon Bōru) is an adaptation of the first portion of Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball manga. It is composed of 153 episodes and ran on Fuji TV from 1986-1989. It was followed by 3 continuations Dragon Ball Z, TTSW and Dragon Ball Super.
Dragon Ball follows the adventures of Son Goku, from childhood to adulthood, as he trains in martial arts and explores the world in search of the Dragon Balls, seven magical orbs which summon a wish-granting dragon when gathered. Along his journey, Goku makes several friends and battles nefarious villains, many of whom also seek the Dragon Balls to use for their own evil deeds.
Why It Rocks
- Great storylines with some good comedy.
- Likable heroes such as Goku, Bulma, Krillin, Master Roshi, Yamcha, Launch and Tien Shinhan.
- Awesome villains such as General Blue, Mercenary Tao, King Piccolo and Piccolo Jr.
- Great voice acting in both the original Japanese version and the Funimation (both 1995 and 2001) dubs.
- Memorable theme song, "Makafushigi Adventure".
- Good action scenes.
- Great animation for its time.
- While there are some filler arcs, they still manage to be enjoyable, and the final one acts as a prelude to Dragon Ball Z.
- The voice acting in the Blue Water dub wasn't too good.
- It has some filler episodes, but not many.
- There are some incredibly inappropriate moments (often involving Bulma), such as Goku removing Bulma's panties while she's sleeping and Master Roshi's perverted antics.
- General Blue is heavily implied to be a paedophile in the original Japanese version.