El Tigre: The Adventures of Manny Rivera
El Tigre: The Adventures of Manny Rivera is an American/Mexican flash animated television series produced for Nickelodeon and Nicktoons. It premiered on February 19, 2007 as a sneak peek, and officially premiered on March 3, 2007 to September 13, 2008.
Set in the fictional crime-ridden Mexican metropolis of Miracle City, El Tigre follows the adventures of Manny Rivera, a 13-year-old boy with superpowers trying to choose between being good or evil. Manny's father is a superhero known as White Pantera, and wants Manny to grow up to be good and fight evil. Manny's Grandfather is a supervillain known as Puma Loco who thinks Manny should go to the dark side.
Why It Rocks
- Great action scenes with comedy in it.
- The animation and the character designs looks decent, especially since this was the first Flash animated Nicktoon for 2007-2008 standards. The character designs were done by the co-creator, Jorge R. Gutierrez himself, similar how he did the designs for ¡Mucha Lucha! and The Buzz on Maggie.
- Likable characters, like Manny Rivera/El Tigre, Rodolfo Rivera/White Pantera, Grandpapi/Puma Loco, Frida Suárez, and Maria Rivera.
- The villains are also great, like Sartana of the Dead, Black Cuervo, Dr. Chipotle Jr., Senor Siniestro, and El Oso.
- Great voice acting, especially from Alanna Ubach, Grey DeLisle, Eric Bauza, Carlos Alazraqui, April Stewart, and so many more.
- Somewhat funny moments.
- The idea of El Tigre joining both good and evil is actually pretty great and original.
- The intro itself is very decent to listen.
- "No Boots, No Belt, No Brero" was a great finale for this series, even if it uses the usual 11 minute runtime of each episode.
- One of Nickelodeon's greatest superhero shows, alongside with Danny Phantom and My Life as a Teenage Robot.
- Some amounts of toilet humor.
- It can get really disturbing sometimes. Like when Grandpappi and Rodolfo ate the evil guacamole.
- There can be unlikable characters at times.
- The episode, “The Good, The Bad, and The El Tigre” has Nickelodeon has decided for the viewers to vote whether El Tigre/Manny becomes evil or good in the end, which it has chosen as hero in which he has defeated Dijango and Santana. However, the evil ending, in which has included as an extra is when El Tigre has joined Dijango and Santana but later joined Dijimago and Santana and then taken over the world for himself and Frida in the old age.
- Jorge tried pitching the series to both Cartoon Network and Disney before it was picked up by Nickelodeon.
- Gutierrez was also work on the film, The Book of Life in 2014. The characters Manny, Frida and Grandpapi make their cameo appearances in the film.
- The episode, "A Fistful of Nickels", was originally going to be the pilot in 2005, before airing on TV in 2008.
- An episode of El Tigre was planned for inclusion on the Nick Picks 6 DVD, which was ultimately never released. The series itself, however, did receive a Complete Series manufacture-on-demand DVD release.
- It has been told to return in 2021 to Nickelodeon for a second chance.