Final Space is an American adult animated science-fiction television series for cable network TBS and Adult Swim. The show was created by indie-internet filmmaker Olan Rogers with David Sacks serving as showrunner, on TBS on February 26, 2018, it was renewed for the season at on May 7, 2018, while season 2 premiered on Adult Swim on July 1, 2019.
An astronaut named Gary and his planet-destroying sidekick called Mooncake embarks on serialized journeys through space in order to unlock the mystery of where the universe actually ends and if it actually does exist.
In the second season, after the events of the 1st season finale. Gary and the team squad had to find Quinn in Final Space after trying to defeat Lord Commander, and saving the earth. they have to find the six-dimensional keys to release Bolo from his imprisonment and save Quinn
Why It Rocks
- The animation appears simple at first, but with some gorgeous and aesthetically pleasing scenes, it changes this mindset.
- Likeable characters with a wide cast of characters and a voice cast (minus Gary).
- It has enough originality to stand on its own, so it doesn't rehash space tropes or plots.
- This show manages to represent a vastly unrepresented genre: heartfelt comedy.
- The music is spot on, they hit the scene perfectly almost every time and really added that final touch to make it truly feel like a sci-fi show rather than just another animation.
- The character development in this show is brilliant, like, towards the end, one can't help but really feel part of the squad and understand the relations/struggles the characters have towards another.
- The second season showcases an improvement in animation.
- Touching scenes and beautiful moments towards the end of the second season.
- Cliffhanger at the end of season 2 leaves you asking for more.
- Gary's relationship with his mother is explored in a very thorough way.
- Gary, our main protagonist, can be a little bit annoying; He talks too much, has some corny lines, and occasionally spouts desperate-for-attention jokes that only middle-school aged children and younger could laugh at.
- The plot is a little bit all over the place.
- The first few episodes can be off-putting for viewers, as Gary's annoying personality is hard to deal with.
- The series premiere of Final Space was shown off early via Reddit on February 15, 2018.
- Season 2 premiered on June 24, 2019, airing on Adult Swim first, with TBS airing each episode the following week.