Freakazoid! is an American animated television series created by Bruce Timm and Paul Dini and developed by Tom Ruegger for the Kids' WB programming block of The WB. The series chronicles the adventures of the title character, Freakazoid, a manic, insane superhero who battles with an array of super villains with mini-episodes of adventures of other bizarre superheroes.
Washington, D.C. has a new defender: Freakazoid. The comedy and insanity never stop when he's around, and he's only one of the weird heroes of the series. It's better than a nice tub of good things.
Why It Rocks
- Freakazoid is perhaps the most under-appreciated comedy series based on superheroes before Teen Titans.
- This is the only show you would be able to hear big-name actors like David Warner behave like a child throwing a tantrum, or hear deadpan Ed Asner say things like "Poo-gas", or even hear the world famous carpenter Norm Abram say something like, "You're and evil man!".
- The show was brought to us by the comic genius of Paul Rugg (who not only writes but does the voice of Freakazoid himself because the part was too weird for anyone else to handle) and his partner in crime, John P. McCann.
- Richard Stone's demented intro theme and credits, which actually won a Emmy.
- The show features several types of humor. Slapstick (i.e. "The Three Stooges'), dry and sarcastic (i.e. "Daria"), and that old Warner Brother-ish humor (i.e. Looney Tunes) with a comic book superhero twist.
- After Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain, Freakazoid is the last animated series produced by Steven Spielberg, despite is created by Batman TAS creators Bruce Timm and Paul Dini and developed by Tom Ruegger.
- The show, despite is the most under-appreciated, is often better than TTSW.
- Memorable characters, and especially villains.
- Amazing, interesting and memorable episodes.
- Like in Darkwing Duck, also in this show the villains appear to have a friendly relationship with hero off-battle.
- Characters from Animaniacs appears in cameos in the show.
- Unlike Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs that was co-produced by TMS Entertainment, only Freakazoid was co-produced by Toei Animation.
- It's so awesome, the titular character will return in a TTSW episode called "Huggbees!"
- Adults are likely to find the show forced and derivative.
- It lasted only 24 episodes before getting cancelled.
- Duncan Douglas, the bullying brother of Dexter Douglas (Freakazoid's identity), is a rip off of Flash Thompson from the Spider-Man comics, who has a pleasure on picking on Dexter, since he's his brother.
- The theme song includes a reference to Nirvana with the line "Floyd the Barber cuts his hair" Floyd the Barber is the second track on their debut album, Bleach.
- Freakazoid! was not only popular in the United States of America, it was also popular in Asia and in Europe (especially in Italy), too.
- An early idea for this cartoon was to have it be a more straightforward adaptation focusing on the established DC Comics superhero The Creeper.
- There was a Disneyland reference found in one of the episodes of this show, and here's the proof