G4 (also known as G4TV) was a television network owned by G4 Media, a subsidary of NBCUniversal. It was launched in April 24th, 2002 as a channel mostly dedicated to tech, gaming, and other things related to nerd culture, before transitioning to a more general entertaimment format in the late 2000s.
In December 31st, 2014, the channel was terminated due to low ratings, budget costs, and showing content that had nothing to do with tech or gaming.
Six years later, however, in July 24th, 2020, G4 was announced to be revived in some shape or form in 2021. The revival was confirmed to be both a digital and linear network.
Why It Rocked
- Tons of quality television programs with gaming-related content, the most famous being X-Play, a show about breakdowns, previews, and reviews of current games.
- This channel was also dedicated to other nerdy things besides video games, like anime. For example, there was a midnight block called "Anime Unleashed" that showed anime late at night, similar to Toonami from Cartoon Network, and then Adult Swim.
- Many influencal hosts that were big parts of the channel like Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb of X-Play and Kevin Pereira and Olivia Munn of Attack of the Show.
- It was one of the very few TV channels that focused on nerd culture regarding, video games, tech, movies, anime, etc.
- The success of X-Play inspired other gaming-related shows to air on the same channel.
- Some of the live television programs have some funny skits like the Co-op Theater skits in X-Play.
- In the early 2000s, a time where the internet was barebones and had little to no content regarding gaming news, reviews, etc., X-Play was the only source for video game previews and reviews, outside of magazines.
- The previews and reviews by Adam Sessler amd Morgan Webb in X-Play are very informative and unbiased (and humorous at times, too).
- The segments in Attack of the Show is full of entertaining segments regarding pop culture, and even has some funny moments in their parody skits and some of their interviews.
- At San Diego Comic Con 2020, the channel was confirmed to return a year later, and it seems that it'll be back to its original roots prior to the late 2000s.
- In 2009, the channel went on a decline as it attempted to appeal to "dudebro" viewers with shows that had nothing to do with nerd culture like the infamous The International Sexy Ladies Shows, as well as the 24/7 marathons of reruns of older shows like Cops and Cheaters. Additionally, two of G4's most popular shows, X-Play and Attack of the Show were cancelled in 2013 with reruns of older episodes of respective shows being aired afterwards, all of which led the entire channel to its shutdown in December 31st, 2014.
- After the closure of G4, Adam Sessler, one of the co-hosts of X-Play, became an SJW. Click here for more information.
- It had its share of bad shows, like the Spaceballs cartoon, even before its decline.