G4 (2002-2009, 2021-2022)
G4 (also known as G4TV) is a television network owned by G4 Media, a subsidiary of NBCUniversal. It was launched on April 24, 2002 as a channel mostly dedicated to tech, gaming, and other things related to nerd culture, before transitioning to a more general entertainment format in the late 2000s.
On December 31, 2014, the channel was terminated due to low ratings, budget costs, and showing content that had nothing to do with tech or gaming.
Six years later, however, on July 24, 2020, G4 was announced to be revived in some shape or form on November 16, 2021. The revival was confirmed to be both a digital and linear network.
Why It Used To Rock
- Tons of quality television programs with video gaming-related content, the most famous being X-Play, a show about breakdowns, previews, and reviews of current games.
- This channel was also dedicated to other nerdy things besides video games, like anime. For example, there was a midnight block called "Anime Unleashed" that showed anime late at night, similar to Toonami from Cartoon Network, and then Adult Swim.
- Many influencal hosts that were big parts of the channel like Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb of X-Play and Kevin Pereira and Olivia Munn of Attack of the Show.
- It was one of the very few TV channels that focused on nerd culture regarding, video games, tech, movies, anime, etc.
- The success of X-Play inspired other gaming-related shows to air on the same channel.
- Some of the live television programs have some funny skits like the Co-op Theater skits in X-Play.
- In the early 2000s, a time where the internet was barebones and had little to no content regarding gaming news, reviews, etc., X-Play was the only source for video game previews and reviews outside of magazines.
- The previews and reviews by Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb in X-Play are very informative and unbiased (and humorous at times, too).
- The segments in Attack of the Show are full of entertaining segments regarding pop culture, and even has some funny moments in their parody skits and some of their interviews.
- At San Diego Comic Con 2020, the channel was confirmed to return on November 16, 2021, and it seems that it'll be back to its original roots prior to the late 2000s.
- The relaunch of the G4 channel is very incredible, as the video gamers celebrates the return of the G4 network.
- It got permission from Scott the Woz to air the series from YouTube onto the channel, which was a very neat and amazing idea.
The channel had begun a massive downfall in the late 2000s, which led to its first shutdown, and is even going through another decline two months after its return. To see the network's bad qualities, click here.