Generator Rex is a 2010 American animated sci-fi action-comedy-drama series created by Man of Action (a group consisting of Duncan Rouleau, Joe Casey, Joe Kelly, and Steven T. Seagle), and produced by Cartoon Network Studios. The series is about a 15-(later 16)year-old boy named Rex Salazar who was affected by a massive nanite explosion, and like most humans who were effected, he became an E.V.O. But he can actually control his powers unlike most E.V.O.’s, and also doesn’t have any physical deformation, making him a superpower human. He uses his powers while working for Providence, to cure other E.V.O.’s with his powers, and also fighting off evil forces from Earth to keep the planet safe. The show premiered on April 23, 2010 and ended on January 3, 2013.
Five years prior to the series, a massive explosion released high concentrations of nanites into the atmosphere, infecting almost every living thing on Earth. These nanites may randomly activate inside their hosts, mutating the subject into a monster known as an E.V.O. (short for "Exponentially Variegated Organism"). Though some E.V.O.s retain human-level sanity, intelligence, and memory and are in full control of their special E.V.O. abilities, most transform into monster-like creatures and go violently berserk, causing widespread chaos and destruction. An international military-style organization known as Providence exists to combat the E.V.O. threat.
Rex is a fifteen-year-old (sixteen, later on in the series) amnesiac teenager who is a permanent E.V.O. Unlike most E.V.O.s, he lacks any physical deformation but has forgotten his past. He is also able to control his active nanites, allowing him to manifest from his body a wide variety of various bio-mechanical abilities and powers. Rex has the unique ability to deactivate nanites inside other E.V.O.s, effectively curing them of their monstrous mutations and returning them to normal. Working for Providence under Agent Six, and White Knight, Rex uses his unique abilities to stop and cure rampant E.V.O.s. His archenemy, Van Kleiss, is an E.V.O. scientist who despises Providence and is connected to the original nanite explosion (which is noted as simply "The Nanite Event" throughout the series). His ultimate goal is to be all powerful, using EVOs to get him there, he promises to tell Rex about his past if he will join him.
Why It Rocks
- The idea of nanites turning people into monsters at any given time is really creative and interesting premise.
- The opening theme song is very addictive and catchy.
- The group behind this show also made the original Ben 10, which is an instant plus.
- Lovable characters, especially Rex himself.
- Intriguing villains like Van Kleiss, Breach, No-Face, and Black Knight.
- Excellent character designs with a dark color palette.
- The fight scenes are very well-done.
- The background design is awesome.
- The voice acting is top-notch, especially from actor Daryl Sabara as the main character Rex Salazar.
- Awesome animation that truly feels like an anime show.
- The comedy is pretty good.
- The ending is very good and satisfying.
- It had an outstanding crossover with Ben 10: Ultimate Alien.
Generator Rex got a 7.5 on IDMB, with the reviewers loving the show.