Glee (stylized in all lowercase) is an American musical comedy-drama television series that aired on the Fox network in the United States from May 19, 2009, to March 20, 2015. It centers on the fictional William McKinley High School glee club, the New Directions, which competes on the show choir competition circuit.
The series centers on a high school show choir, also known as a glee club, in the fictional William McKinley High School in Lima, Ohio.Will Schuester takes over the glee club after the former teacher Sandy Ryerson is fired for inappropriate contact with a male student. With a rag-tag group of misfit teenagers, Will attempts to restore the glee club to its former glory while tending to his developing feelings for his co-worker, guidance counselor Emma Pillsbury , as well as defending the glee club's existence from the conniving cheerleading coach Sue Sylvester . A major focus of the series is the students in the glee club: their relationships as couples, their love of singing and desire for popularity coming into conflict due to their membership in the low-status club, and the many vicissitudes of life in high school and as a teenager.
Why It Rocks
- The concept of the show is interesting and executed really well.
- It deals with real life problems such as relationships, sexuality, race and teamwork.
- Decent Acting.
- The songs are well performed.
- Every character is enjoyable to watch in some sort of way such as Will Schuester, Finn Hudson, Kurt Hummel, Santana Lopez and Sue Sylvester.
- It has a lot of funny moments/running gags such as Sue making fun of Will's hair.
- The episodes have interesting or decent plots such as Preggers, Wheels, Mattress, Sectionals, Dream On, Furt, A Very Glee Christmas ,I Kissed A Girl,Nationals and Goodbye.
- It has a few heartwarming moments such as the Glee club sticking for Kurt when he was getting bullied by Karofsky.
- The series finale, Dreams Come True was a decent way to end the show.
- It spawned a few internet memes.
- Rachel Berry can very annoying, unlikable and extremely petty at times, such as the time she quit Glee Club all because Will didn't give her a solo that she wanted and especially when she temporarily ended her friendship with Santana, just because she wanted to be her understudy.
- Besides Rachel the other characters can sometimes be unlikable as well.
- Santana can be a jerk too
- The show's handling of serious issues comes across as rather hamfisted, like something out of an afterschool special.
- The show went downhill in Seasons 4 and 5.
- It can be a little mean-spirited at times. Especially when they get slushied.
- Cory Monteith (who played Finn Hudson) tragically died on July 13th, 2013 from a drug overdose at the age of 31.
- Mark Salling (who played Noah Puckerman) hanged himself on January 30, 2018, right before he would've been jailed for possessing child porn.
- Naya Rivera (who played Santana Lopez) died on July 8, 2020 after drowning.
- Heather Morris (who played Brittany Pierce) was one of the back up dancers when Beyoncé was doing a live performance of Single Ladies.
- The series has been available for streaming on both Disney+ and Hulu since June 1, 2022.