Good Eats is a cooking show that aired on Food Network in July 7th, 1999 and moved to the Cooking Channel in 2011. The series originally came to an end in 2012. The series was hosted by Alton Brown. In 2018, Alton announced the series would return via his miniseries, Good Eats: Reloaded and on August 21, 2019, Good Eats: The Return aired, rebooting the series.
Why It Rocks
- Most of the meals prepared by Alton Brown are simple to make and good for beginner chefs and home cooking.
- In addition to cooking, the show also teaches the science behind cooking as well as food origin.
- The science lessons are taught in a similar manner to the kid's educational show, Bill Nye the Science Guy, while the history and origin sketches are either done through actors or Monthy Python style animation.
- The show also uses sketch humor and comedy to teach the history and science behind food.
- Some episodes actually have a plot or story behind them such as Alton learning to poach food (cook in simmering water) to defeat an insane food terrorist or putting a scam artist known as Cocoa Carl out of business.
- One recurring gag in the show is Alton's interactions with gadget specialist W who despite sharing a mutual dislike with Alton, helps him with choosing a gadget to help with the episode. These gags often reference James Bond in with James Bond type music and that W explains to Alton about the gadget in question similar to Q of James Bond fame.
- Alton holds an intense hatred for uni-taskers (a kitchen appliance that can only do one job) with the exception of a fire extinguisher and shows us how we can clean up clutter by using multi-taskers or simply improvise.
- Episodes usually have a bit of trivia and tips before a commercial break.
- Alton often acknowledges his mistakes and fixes them in future episodes, like Honey, I Shrunk the Cake where he admits to perpetuating some myths about egg whites, or updates his recipes in either in his books or Good Eats: Reloaded.
- While quarantined due to the Coronavirus pandemic, Alton is uploading recipes to Youtube to pass the time.... and giving off a "Go Mad From Isolation" act while doing so. Because it's on Youtube, he's also allowed to say brand names, including Jif Peanut Butter when he made flourless peanut butter cookies.
- He has made mistakes in the past and made some suggestions that by today's standards are outdated. Thankfully these were addressed in the books as well as Good Eats Reloaded.
Some of the best episodes of Good Eats are:
- "Honey I Shrunk the Cake"
- "True Brew"
- "Another Man Food Show: Breakfast"
- "Three Chips for Sister Marsha"
- "The Art of Darkness"
- "Art of Darkness II: Cocoa"
- "Going Dutch"
- "A Pie in Every Pocket"
- "Oh My, Meat Pie"
Good Eats is considered one of the best cooking shows of all time. Grust, the original founder of Crappy and Awesome Games Wiki, is a huge fan of the show and even made a Top 5 favorite episodes blog.