Good Luck Charlie
Good Luck Charlie is an American sitcom that originally aired on Disney Channel from April 4, 2010, to February 16, 2014. The series' creators, Phil Baker and Drew Vaupen, wanted to create a program that would appeal to entire families, not just children.
Teens PJ and Teddy and tween brother Gabe are typical kids -- that is, until their mother has another baby. The arrival of their new sister completely upends the entire household. When their mother heads back to work after Charlie's birth, it's up to the kids and their dad to keep the home fires burning -- and to keep Charlie out of trouble as she learns to sit up, crawl, walk and run. Teddy, as the older sister, makes a personalized video diary for Charlie, in each episode adding a nugget of wisdom for her baby sibling.
Why It Is Lucky
- The main cast is perfect for the characters and the acting is miraculous, especially from Bridgit Mendler and Leigh-Allyn Baker.
- A long range of memorable characters, most notably the main family and many side characters, such as Emmett and Ivy.
- Badass theme song, with a good message and decent humor.
- The plot of the show is simply a family going through realistic and believable situations. The family is just portrayed as a group of completely ordinary characters, which was very refreshing at the time, among Disney shows with characters that were more extraordinary.
- Intelligent and hilarious writing.
- The idea of an older sister sharing her wisdom through short home videos for her younger sister is an original and endearing idea. And the lessons Teddy shares with her little sister are very true, such as to retain your old memories before moving on to new things.
- Charlie has numerous one-liners, such as "Not in my house".
- Towards the end of an episode, most of the time there would be a supernatural, surreal or just unrealistic but funny event happening, like how we thought that Bob was pretending to be his grandmother to find out the new baby's gender, but then Bob as himself walks into the room, surprised to see his "grandmother".
- There was a musical episode where the Muppets made an appearance.
- Very funny moments, such as PJ and Emmett giving Bob unintentionally terrible ideas for a song for a Bob's Bugs Be Gone commercial.
- The show also has heartwarming moments, such as Amy deciding not to move house when taking another look at the current house and getting filled with nostalgia.
- The film, Good Luck Charlie, It's Christmas!, was very successful.
- The laugh track seems to have more emotion than the laugh tracks in most other teen sitcoms.
- It is the first Disney Channel show that had homosexual themes. It is shown that two lesbian moms have a daughter that is friends with a Duncan child.
- It spawned a crossover with Jessie called Good Luck Jessie: NYC Christmas.
- Gabe can be unlikable at times. He seems to bully PJ and was not happy with Charlie when she came simply because of the paranoid belief that he was going to be forgotten.
- Spencer is not a great boyfriend to Teddy. The couple seems forced at best.
- Some gross-out humour.
- Blatant and shameless product placement, like JIF peanut butter, Minute Maid juice drinks, Wish-Bone salad dressing, Nintendo Wii, Panasonic televisions, and more, which would feel out of place for a Disney Channel show.
- The only bad episode is "Charlie Shakes it Up" (a crossover with Shake it Up, an already bad show).
- Good Luck Charlie (2010) was so popular that India adapted the show with the title Best of Luck Nikki (2011) , which is just as great .
- The show used the same set as Hannah Montana (2006), so when the Hannah Montana cast moved out, Good Luck Charlie (2010) moved in.
- Leigh-Allyn Baker was pregnant when she auditioned for the show
- As Mentioned Above ,In India , an indian version of the show , called Best of luck Nikki , aired from april 2011 to april 2016 . the show is just as great , and is considered a much better show as compared to the other indian shows . the indian versions of Shake it up , The Suite Life of Zack and Cody , Jessie , and That's so raven aired respectively as Shake it up ( The Same name , although much better than the american version ),The Suite Life of Karan and Kabir , Oye Jassie , and Palak pe Jhalak .
- In the show Teddy is dating Spencer Walsh's character and her actress Brid git Mendler actually dated him aside from the show.
- Both Leigh-Allyn Baker (Amy Duncan) and Eric Allan Kramer (Bob Duncan) both previously guest starred on That '70s Show (1998), although in different episodes.
- Jason Dolley's final Disney Channel appearance, as of the final episode of Good Luck Charlie (2010).
- Jason Dolley and Luke Benward previously starred in The Disney Channel Original Movie Minute Men (2008) together.
- During filming of a season premiere, Bridgit Mendler tripped over a shoelace, and fell.