HAZBIN HOTEL (Pilot)
Warning! This article is NSFW!
This article may contain content unsuitable for readers under eighteen years or older.
HAZBIN HOTEL (PILOT) is a pilot was officially released on October 28, 2019.
The story focuses on Charlie, the princess of Hell, who wants to reduce the population in Hell to prevent Heaven from exterminating the demons there yearly to solve the overpopulating problem. She does that by opening a hotel with a purpose to cleanse the sins the souls and demons in Hell have committed when they were alive, and to have them become better people so they could be accepted into Heaven. But the problem is, no one cares about Charlie and her hotel, so Charlie and her friends must work together to help Charlie achieve her goal.
Why It Rocks
- The opening is beautifully sung by Elsie Lovelock, Charlie's singing voice.
- Fascinating animation provided by over 31 animatiors, it gets better since it’s faithful to Vivziepop’s animation style.
- Charlie is a relatable character. Unlike UniKitty!, this show explains the fact Charlie wants to rehabilitate the corrupted ones and make Hell a better place.
- A lot of creative character designs, most notably the background characters and the main characters. They are also appealing to look at.
- The first 2 minutes also show it’s premise, and executed pretty well since smoking, and dark colors are shown.
- Wonderful and joyful voice-acting. Angel Dust (voiced by Michael Kovach), Vaggie (voiced by Monica Franco) and Charlie (voiced by Jill Harris) are the most noticeable.
- There are clear reasons as to why a lot of people are sent in hell, which is because they have committed acts very heinous, or are jerks in general.
- Addictive and surreal soundtrack.
- Decent villains, like Sir Pentious, who explodes everything in his path.
- Executes unlikable characters very well, like Katie Killjoy became she’s a cruel homophobe and is very disrespectful towards homosexuals.
- When Charlie presents about her intentions, she sings a very catchy song about cleansing hell.
- Charlie is bisexual and Vaggie is homosexual, which is good LGBT+ representation especially considering the fact that they're likable characters.
- Plenty of amusing scenes, like Cherri Bomb shouting “EDGELORD!“ and exploding a bomb, Charlie having the guts to call Katie a bitch, and the badass scene where we see how powerful Alastor really is.
- Likable characters that are unique in every way.
- Swearing isn’t too excessive, which adds to the interest.
- Many great character designs, especially the tattooed dinosaur man, the TV Demon and several of the demons at the 666 News Studio.
- There are too many things going on in many scenes, making it hard to keep up with what is going on.
- Overuse of sound effects, which can cause a sensory overload.
- It may offend Christians as this series takes place in Hell.
- Most of the main characters have the same body types and their color palettes look similar, some of their designs can also be rather overdesigned.
- However the background characters have much more diverse designs in terms of body types, color palettes and species.