Handy Manny is an American animated preschool show on Playhouse Disney/Disney Junior that ran from 2006 to 2013.
In the town of Sheetrock Hills everyone gets help from handyman, Manny Garcia and his talking tool. The series teaches basic Spanish words and phrases and exposes kids to Latin culture. Other lessons focus on working together and problem solving as a team.
Why It Rocks
- Astonishing animation that looks like a combination of 2D and 3D.
- Likable and funny characters, like the title character Manny and his tools, Squeeze, Turner, Dusty, Stretch, Rusty, Felipe, Pat, and Flicker, and the bumbling Mr. Lopart.
- It manages to avoid coming off as a Bob the Builder, Engie Benjy, rip-off despite similar premises.
- Promotes teamwork, problem-solving and positive attitude.
- It also teaches us how to speak Spanish, like Dora the Explorer.
- Catchy theme song.
- Great voice acting.
- Sometimes tackles mature topics such as work-related injuries. Such as the episode, "Squeeze in a Pinch" where Squeeze accidentally pinches Manny's thumb and hurts him.
The Only Bad Quality
- Some of the voices from the tools can get annoying.
- Handy Manny had a crossover with Special Agent Oso.
- Wilmer Valderrama (voice of Handy Manny) would later voice Gaxton from GMW.
- There is an animation test featuring Tyrone (from the Backyardigans) using lightsabers (from Star Wars) to fight Manny.