Hannah Montana is an American teen sitcom created by Michael Poryes, Rich Correll, and Barry O'Brien for Disney Channel.
The series centers on Miley Stewart (portrayed by Miley Cyrus), a teenage girl living a double life as famous pop singer Hannah Montana, an alter ego she adopted to be able to maintain the anonymity of living a "normal life" as a typical teenager. Stories deal with Miley's everyday struggles in coping with the social and personal issues of adolescence, while maintaining the added struggle of her concealed identity, which she sustains by wearing a blonde wig. Miley shares strong relationships with her brother, Jackson, and best friends, Lilly Truscott and Oliver Oken, who also become aware of her secret. Cyrus's father, singer-songwriter Billy Ray Cyrus, plays the fictional character's father Robby Ray, who works as the singer's manager. Overarching themes include the focus on family, friendships, the importance of music and discovering one's identity.
Why It Rocks
- Awesome music, especially "Nobody's Perfect" and the theme song, "Best Of Both Worlds".
- Good acting.
- It launched a major acting career for Miley Cyrus.
- Miley Stewart is a great protagonist. (at least most of the time.)
- The supporting characters, Lilly, Jackson and Oliver are also likable.
- Noah Cyrus (Miley Cyrus’ little sister) made 6 guest appearances, including:
- "It's a Mannequin’s World"
- "O Say, Can You Remember The Words?"
- "Torn Between Two Hannahs"
- "Achy Jakey Heart (Part 2)"
- "Everybody Was Best Friend Fighting"
- "Love That Let’s Go"
- It has two crossovers with the first being with The Suite Life of Zack & Cody and That's So Raven called “That’s So Suite Life of Hannah Montana”, and the second being with Wizards of Waverly Place and The Suite Life on Deck called “Wizards on Deck with Hannah Montana”.
- Speaking of The Suite Life on Deck, the cast from that show guest appeared in “Super Girl”.
- It was one of Disney Channel's best shows.
- In 2009, It spawned a theatrical film called "Hannah Montana: The Movie".
- The series finale, “Wherever I Go” was a great way to end the show!
- Miley was flanderized into a negative influence as the series went on.
- On top of that note, she acted more of a mary-sue.
- Some unlikable characters.
- The jokes can be mean-spirited sometimes.
- Oliver is no longer the main character in season 4.
Episodes with their own pages
The series received generally favorable reviews from critics and was praised by audiences. It has been recognized as a "guilty pleasure" by several media outlets. The show's instant success is widely credited with the launch of the younger Cyrus's career and her establishment as a teen idol. However, as she continued to develop an increasingly provocative image as the series progressed, the series has received criticism for appearing to be a negative influence on its younger audience. It sits a 7.1/10 on TV.com whereas having a 5.1/10 on IMDb.
- Mitchel Musso, the actor who played Oliver Oken was absent in Season 4 (except for guest starring in 3 episodes) since he later went on to play Brady in the Disney XD original series, Pair of Kings.
- Miley Cyrus, the actress who played Hannah Montana/Miley Stewart spoke up with NBC in 2012 saying that she cut her blonde hair short and she stated that she doesn’t want to come back to Disney ever again because she moved to RCA Records for her new singing career. She also mentioned that she had to be on the show because it started the job for her.
- In Fall 2016, Miley Cyrus somehow got cast on season 11 of The Voice.
- Mateo Arias is the brother of Moises Arias (the actor who played Rico), is famous for his acting in the Disney XD original series, Kickin' It.
- Noah Cyrus, who is the little sister of Miley Cyrus, is famous for her acting as GMW and her songs "Stay Together", "Make Me (Cry) feat. Labrinth”, etc. She is friends with Frankie Jonas (the little brother of Kevin Jonas, Nick Jonas, and Joe Jonas) during production of the film.