Hey Arnold! is an American created by Craig Bartlett that aired on Nickelodeon from October 7, 1996, to June 8, 2004. The show centers on a fourth grader named Arnold, who lives with his grandparents in an inner-city boarding house. Episodes center on his experiences navigating big city life while dealing with the problems he and his friends encounter.
The everyday life of Arnold, a 4th-grader who lives in a multi-racial boarding house with his grandparents and a motley assortment of neighbors and friends in the city of Hillwood.
Why It Likes to Move It
- Smooth backgrounds.
- The main voice actors are kids like the main characters.
- The plots are well-written.
- Earned a TV movie called Hey Arnold!: The Jungle Movie which revealed Arnold's long lost parents.
- Also earned a prequel to The Jungle Movie as a final episode which revolves around Arnold finding a journal which is a story about his parents.
- Animation improved over the years.
- Good music, especially the credits music of the episode "Parents Day".
- Most of the characters are excellent and have depth to them, especially Helga G. Pataki, who seems like a bully, but only acts like it because of her crush on Arnold.
- Arnold is a likable main protagonist. likewise Gerald and Helga are very good characters.
- Many memorable characters such as Arnold, Gerald, Helga, Phoebe, Harold, Sid, Stinky, Eugene, Rhonda, and even more.
- Some mature episodes, such as Helga on the Couch.
- Like Rugrats, it is never afraid to display other religions.
- Spawned 2 movies, even though the first one was poorly received.
- The special's are amazing.
- It teaches some good morals for kids and adults alike.
- In fact, it has a ton of episodes that were great, amazing, action packed, heroic, creative and hilarious such as. "Downtown As Fruits"(That started the series) "The Stoop Kid" "Arnold's Christmas" "Sally's Comet" "The Haunted Train" "Operation Ruthless" "Arnold's Valentine" "Helga's Makeover" "World Records" "Toturing Torvald" "Coach Wittenberg/ Four Eyed Jack" "Mudbowl" "Big Caesar" "Save The Tree" "Partners" "Arnold's Halloween" "What's Opera, Arnold?" "Ms. Perfect" "The High Life" "Best Man" "Grand Prix" "Arnold's Room" "Runaway Float" "New Kid" "Parents Day" "Arnold's Thanksgiving" "Mr. Hyunh Goes Country" "Weighing Harold" "Eugene's Birthday/ Stinky's Pumpkin" "Headless Cabbie" “Helga on The Couch” "Grudge Match" "Stuck in a Tree" "Grandpa's Packard" "Summer Love" "Monkeyman/ Buses, Bikes and Subways" "Eugene, Eugene" "Gerald's Game" "On The Lam/ Family Man" "The Journal" and "Ghost Bride".
- There are some bad/average episodes, such as
- "Longest Monday"
- "Girl Trouble"
- "Bag of Money"
- "Curly's Girl"
- "Arnold Betrays Iggy" (the most infamous)
- "Full Moon"
- "Principal Simmons"
- "Student Teacher"
- "New Bully on the Block"
- "Helga and The Nanny"
- "Gerald vs Jamie-O"
- "Love and Cheese"
- "Chocolate Turtles"
- "Deconstructing Arnold"
- "Phoebe's Little Problem"
- Its 2002 movie was poorly received too.
- The scene where Helga kisses Arnold seemed kind of rapey.
- Some mean-spirited moments in some episodes.
- The series was aired severely out-of-order, thus creating continuity issues like Miss Slovak appearing in a few more episodes after Mr. Simmons replaced her.
- The show ended on a cliffhanger with the episode, "The Journal". Luckily, it was resolved with "Hey Arnold! The Jungle Movie."
- Some seasons, while still good, do have their flaws:
- Season 1, while still good, was a weak way to start the show as there were many noticeable animation errors and was when Arnold didn't have much development (though this can be understandable), aswell as many characters having off-model designs. It wasn't until Season 2 when this started getting better.
- Seasons 4 & 5, while still good as well, was when the series slightly declined in quality, as it started to focus a lot more on Helga than Arnold, who's defining character trait at this time was being a voice of reason to his friends. Also, Sid, Rhonda and Principle Wartz were still flanderized since season 3, and these seasons also had a few bad episodes. However, these seasons are still good and the animation has massively improved.
- As the show continued some of the characters receive terrible character changes from season 3 to season 5.
- Sid becomes an unsympathetic paranoid type of person who always jumps to the conclusions.
- Rhonda becomes a drama queen by crying over something that goes wrong for no reason of what so ever.
- Principal Wartz goes from being a generous school principal with a good heart by taking action when something starts going wrong or when there's trouble at School to a corrupted official that unfairly punishes the students in a state of outbursts in "Full Moon", "Principal Simmons" and "Suspended".
- Wolfgang, Principal Wartz(School Principal), Helga, Curly, Big Bob(Helga's Dad) and Rex Smythe Higgins(Grandpa Phil's rival) can be very unlikable at times.