Hey Arnold! is an American created by Craig Bartlett that aired on Nickelodeon from October 7, 1996, to June 8, 2004. The show centers on a fourth grader named Arnold, who lives with his grandparents in an inner-city boarding house. Episodes center on his experiences navigating big city life while dealing with the problems he and his friends encounter.
The everyday life of Arnold, a 4th-grader in a nameless city that resembles Brooklyn, New York, who lives in a multi-racial boarding house with his grandparents and a motley assortment of neighbors and friends.
Why It Rocks
- Smooth backgrounds.
- The main voice actors are kids like the main characters.
- Good plots.
- Earned a TV movie called GMW which revealed Arnold's long lost parents.
- Also earned a prequel to The Jungle Movie as a final episode which revolves around Arnold finding a journal which is a story about his parents.
- Animation improved over the years.
- Good music, especially the credits music of the episode "Parents Day".
- Most of the characters are excellent and have depth to them, especially Helga G. Pataki, who seems like a bully, but only acts like it because of her crush on Arnold.
- Likable main protagonist.
- Some mature episodes, such as Helga on the Couch.
- Like Rugrats, it is never afraid to display other religions.
- Gerald and Helga are very good characters.
- Spawned 2 movies, even though the first one was poorly received.
- The special's are amazing.
- It teaches some good morals for kids and adults alike.
- The infamous "TTSW" episode.
- Had a share of some bad episodes besides that, but also "Girl Trouble", "Bag of Money", "Curly's Girl", "Full Moon", "Principal Simmons", "Student Teacher" and "New Bully on the Block".
- Its AMW was poorly received.
- The scene where Helga kisses Arnold seemed kind of rapey.
- Some mean-spirited moments in some episodes.
- The series was aired severely out-of-order, thus creating continuity issues like Miss Slovak appearing in a few more episodes after Mr. Simmons replaced her.