Inspector Gadget is a media franchise that began in 1983 with the DiC Entertainment animated television series, Inspector Gadget. Since the original series, there have been many spin-offs based on the show, including additional animated series, video games, and films.
The franchise follows the adventures of a powerful, but incredibly dim-witted, police inspector as he investigates the criminal schemes of Dr. Claw and his organization, MAD, as they fruitlessly attempt to stop him. However, neither side is aware that it's actually Gadget's niece, Penny, and his long-suffering dog, Brain, who are responsible for thwarting MAD's diabolical plans.
Why It Rocks
- Catchy and memorable theme song.
- The animation is great courtesy of TMS and Toei Animation.
- Likable characters, like Gadget, Penny and Brain.
- Exciting episodes with really fun plots.
- Funny and hilarious slapstick humor.
- Many of the spin-offs, like Gadget and the Gadgetinis aren't too tacky, either.
- The character of Corporal Capeman, who appeared in the second season, is very obnoxious.
- Gadgets stupidity can get irritating.
- Inspector Gadget was not only popular in the United States of America, it was also popular in Europe (especially in Italy), too.
- The reason why Inspector Gadget's mustache was removed throughout the rest of the series (except for the plot, where it was last seen and only seen) was because the creators saw and agreed it made Gadget look similar to Inspector Clouseau from the Pink Panther, so they feared it would lead to them getting sued by MGM for that matter, so they decided to remove the mustache. (It can also be implied that Gadget shaved it off himself.)