Jujutsu Kaisen (Japanese: 呪術廻戦, meaning "sorcery fight") is an adventure dark fantasy supernatural anime that is produced by Studio MAPPA and is based on a manga series by Gege Akutami. The first season premiered on October 3, 2020 to March 27, 2021. Shortly after finishing airing Season 1, a prequel movie, Jujutsu Kaisen 0, premiered in theaters on December 24, 2021 in Japan and March 18, 2022 in the US. A second season is currently in development and is scheduled to release in Winter 2023.
After the death of his grandfather, athletic high schooler Yuji Itadori discovered and ate an ancient finger, in which he became the vessel of Ryomen Sukuna. Accompanied by Satoru Gojo, Yuji attended Tokyo Jujutsu High to collect all of Sukuna's fingers before his execution, along with Sukuna. Joined by the stoic Megumi Fushiguro and the hotheaded Nobara Kugisaki, the three first years must exorcise all Cursed Spirits in order to help and protect people.
Why it Exorcises Cursed Spirits
- Spectacular animation by MAPPA, the studio that animated YURI!!! on Ice, Terror of Resonance, Attack on Titan Final Season, and later Chainsaw Man.
- Perfect selections of voice actors in many languages, especially Adam MacArthur (Marco Diaz from Star vs. The Forces of Evil) as the English voice actor of Yuji in his first anime role!
- Likable characters with perfect character developments.
- Yuji has one simple but difficult task to help and save people from Cursed Spirits with his strength for the sake of his late grandfather's dying wish, which is a great concept for the series.
- Nanami returned to become a Jujutsu Sorcerer after 4 years of working stressfully as a salaryman.
- Great opening and ending songs by Eve, ALI, Who-ya Extended, and Cö shu Nie.
- Epic battle scenes from vs. Mahito arc and the Kyoto Goodwill Event arc.
- The Juju Stroll clips after each episode are funny and enjoyable to watch.
- Episodes 13 and 17 provides recipes, made by Yuji and Nishimiya respecively, that everyone can make in real life, which is nice.
- It has hilariously iconic moments that became internet memes.
- Yuji's interest with Jennifer Lawrence (the actress who played Tiffany from Silver Linings Playbook and Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games series) or any woman similar to her.
- Gojo's childlike and comical personality that irritated Nanami and the staff at Tokyo and Kyoto Jujutsu High (especially almost all of their students).
- Miwa's obsession with Gojo, who is known to be attractive and powerful among other Jujutsu Sorcerers.
- The Cursed Techniques fueled with Cursed Energy from Jujutsu Sorcerers are very unique, with Yuji's Divergent Fist, Toge's Cursed Speech, Nobara's Straw Doll technique, and so on.
- Nobara and Maki are the perfect examples of strong female protagonists in a Shonen series, as they are not considered useless or weak like Sakura Haruno from Naruto.
- In the Tokyo-Kyoto Sister School Exchange Event, Nobara angrily fought Nishimiya, the latter who believe a sexist prejudice that female sorcerers are supposed to care about their self-perfection and flawlessness rather than staying very true to themselves, unlike male jujutsu sorcerers who don't face it.
- In order to spite her arrogant family, Maki decided to leave the arrogant Zenin clan and enter Tokyo Jujutsu High to prove that she is powerful without her own Cursed Energy, but rather every Cursed Tool imbued with it.
- After over 4 years of the serialization of Volume 0, it spawned a prequel movie based on it, which was very enjoyable for fans and newcomers alike who have never heard of this series.
- The Kyoto Jujutsu High students (with the exception of Miwa and later Todo) can be unlikable sometimes; although they were ordered by their principal Yoshinobu Gakuganji to assassinate Yuji due to the fact that the latter is Sukuna's vessel.
- Junpei being picked on by his bullies (including Shouta Itou) can be upsetting for some viewers.
- When Junpei died, Shouta does get his punishment and no longer bullies other people despite he wasn't entirely sorry about what he did to him.
- Prior to releasing the prequel movie, Yuta Okkotsu, the film's main protagonist, was mentioned and seen a few times in the series, which may confuse fans who have yet to read Volume 0 in the manga.
- Before this series was serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump, its author Gege Akutami first serialized Volume 0 (which was later adapted into movie prequel in 2021) in 2017.
- Gege Akutami decided to not add any more fanservice, due to his parents reading this manga series.