Kamen Rider Build
Kamen Rider Build (仮面ライダービルド Kamen Raidā Birudo, Masked Rider Build) is a Japanese tokusatsu drama in Toei Company's Kamen Rider Series. It is the nineteenth and penultimate series for a full Heisei period run and the twenty-eighth series overall. The series started on September 3, 2017, joining Uchu Sentai Kyuranger in the Super Hero Time line-up after the finale of Kamen Rider Ex-Aid. After Kyuranger concluded on February 4, 2018, the series was joined by Kaitou Sentai Lupinranger vs Keisatsu Sentai Patranger in the Super Hero Time line-up.
10 years ago, the Pandora Box was discovered on the planet Mars and brought forth a catastrophe that would forever change the country of Japan. In the years following the Sky Wall Disaster, the rising of the Sky Wall divided the country into three warring territories: Touto (Eastern Capital), Hokuto (Northern Capital), and Seito (Western Capital), and created a series of unidentified monsters known as Smash that relentlessly attack the public. To combat this chaos, the Touto government requested the help of Sento Kiryu, a genius and prodigious physicist to help decipher the mysteries left behind by both the Pandora Box and the Smash. Alongside prison escapee Ryuga Banjo, who was wrongfully framed for a murder he did not commit, the duo embarks on a journey as Kamen Riders to uncover the mysteries surrounding the Pandora Box, the Smash, and their own pasts. Their journey would not come easy as they face adversaries from Hokuto and Seito, whom they must ultimately confide in if they are to have any hope in stopping their mutual enemy, Evolto from destroying the planet that they hold dear.
Why It Rocks
- The idea of a science-themed Kamen Rider (Build) that can use two collectibles (Fullbottles) to transform is very fresh and creative.
- The concept of the show was interesting and executed well.
- The main theme song "Be The One" is very good.
- Also, the insert songs like "Law of Victory", "Evolution" and "Build Up" are very great songs.
- The characters are very likable in their own ways, such as Sento Kiryu, Ryuga Banjou, Kazumi Sawatari, Gentoku Himuro, Misora Isurugi, and even Evolto.
- It has funny jokes and running gags that don't feel forced, such as Sento's excited hair or Gentoku's weird fashion sense or Kazumi's Obsession with Misora FINALLY Banjou being called Stupid or a Monkey.
- It had great movies such as Kamen Rider Build: Be The One, Kamen Rider Build NEW WORLD: Kamen Rider Cross-Z and Kamen Rider Build NEW WORLD: Kamen Rider Grease.
- The suit designs are very nice to look at.
- It has some heartwarming moments, such as Gentoku's father sacrificing himself to save his son despite all the things Gentoku has done.
- Evolto is a very likable, yet intimidating villain.
- The finale was well excuted.
- Kazumi's obsession with Misora can be really annoying at times.
- Build Genius' design can look a bit weird.
- The idea of a Rider that uses two collectibles to transform was already used in Kamen Rider W, which can be a bit uncreative for some fans.
- While it's good, the following season (Kamen Rider Zi-O) wasn't well-received at all.