Kamen Rider Build
Kamen Rider Build (仮面ライダービルド Kamen Raidā Birudo, Masked Rider Build) is a Japanese tokusatsu drama in Toei Company's Kamen Rider Series. It is the nineteenth and penultimate series for a full Heisei period run and the twenty-eighth series overall. The series started on September 3, 2017, joining Uchu Sentai Kyuranger in the Super Hero Time line-up after the finale of Kamen Rider Ex-Aid. After Kyuranger concluded on February 4, 2018, the series was joined by Kaitou Sentai Lupinranger vs Keisatsu Sentai Patranger in the Super Hero Time line-up.
10 years ago, the Pandora Box was discovered on the planet Mars and brought forth a catastrophe that would forever change the country of Japan. In the years following the Sky Wall Disaster, the rising of the Sky Wall divided the country into three warring territories: Touto (Eastern Capital), Hokuto (Northern Capital), and Seito (Western Capital), and created a series of unidentified monsters known as Smash that relentlessly attack the public. To combat this chaos, the Touto government requested the help of Sento Kiryu, a genius and prodigious physicist to help decipher the mysteries left behind by both the Pandora Box and the Smash. Alongside prison escapee Ryuga Banjo, who was wrongfully framed for a murder he did not commit, the duo embarks on a journey as Kamen Riders to uncover the mysteries surrounding the Pandora Box, the Smash, and their own pasts. Their journey would not come easy as they face adversaries from Hokuto and Seito, whom they must ultimately confide in if they are to have any hope in stopping their mutual enemy, Evolto from destroying the planet that they hold dear.
Why It Rocks
- The idea of a science-themed Kamen Rider (Build) that can use two collectibles (Fullbottles) to transform is very fresh and creative.
- The concept of the show was interesting and executed well.
- Many of the insert songs such as Law of Victory, Burning My Soul, Evolution, and Build Up are very good.
- The characters are very likable in their own ways, such as Sento Kiryu, Ryuga Banjou, Kazumi Sawatari (Depending on your point of view), Gentoku Himuro, Misora Isurugi, and even Evolto.
- The Brains vs Brawn dynamic between Sento and Banjo is amazing, making for one of the best duos in the franchise.
- The deaths of Kazumi Sawatari and Gentoku Himuro were really very heartbreaking.
- It had great movies such as Kamen Rider Build: Be The One and Kamen Rider Heisei Generations FINAL: Build & Ex-Aid with Legend Riders, Build Cross-Z NEW WORLD, Build Grease NEW WORLD.
- It aired alongside Uchu Sentai Kyuranger and Kaitou Sentai Lupinranger vs. Keisatsu Sentai Patranger, two amazing Super Sentai seasons.
- Most of the suit designs are very nice to look at, notable examples being Build Hazard, Cross-Z Magma, Rogue, and Blood.
- It has some heartwarming moments, such as Gentoku's father sacrificing himself to save his son despite all the things Gentoku has done.
- Evolto is a very likable, yet intimidating villain.
- There are some unlikeable characters such as Nariaki Utsumi and Masakuni Mido.
- Gentoku and Kazumi could fall under this, mostly Kazumi (Due to his obsession with Misora).
- Evolt, despite being charasmatic and likeable, was very overpowered, making his plans feel very dragged on throughout the show.
- Despite the aesthetics mostly being good, there are some odd looking suits such as Build Genius, Cross-Z Charge, Grease, and the monster designs.
- Similar to Chouriki Sentai Ohranger, some of the jokes and running gags feel very forced and contrast with the overall serious tone, such examples being Gentoku's weird fashion sense and Kazumi's Obsession with Misora.
- While it's good, the following season (Kamen Rider Zi-O) wasn't well-received at all.