Kamen Rider Zi-O
Kamen Rider Zi-O (仮面ライダージオウ Kamen Raidā Jiō , Masked Rider Zi-O) is a Japanese tokusatsu drama in Toei Company's Kamen Rider Series. It is the 20th and final series of the Heisei Rider series and commemorates all of the Rider series to-date. It is also the 29th Kamen Rider series overall.
- It executed the era anniversary aspect much better than the franchise's last attempt, 10 years earlier.
- Most of the cast can be very charismatic and likable with their characters:
- Sougo is a very funny protagonist who's destiny on becoming Demon King is very interesting to watch (his trauma can actually be understandable, and makes the viewer questions themselves about their possible life goals).
- Geiz was a good rival to Sougo with his struggles on killing or befriending him being very suspensful and tragic. The simple fact that he doesn't manage to go all the way through his dilemma makes him similar to Ren Akiyama/Kamen Rider Knight, another great Secondary Rider.
- Black Woz is one of the best comedic characters in modern Kamen Rider, who's gimmick on being Sougo's hypeman was well received. Afterall, he's like a true Kamen Rider fan.
- It aired alongside Kaitou Sentai Lupinranger vs Keisatsu Sentai Patranger a really awesome Super Sentai series.
- The crossover movie Heisei Generations FOREVER is good, as well as the summer movie, Over Quartzer.
- Most of the suits are very nice to look at such as the main four riders' base forms, Shinobi, Ginga, BuildArmor, Ex-AidArmor, OOOArmor, WizardArmor, Ohma Zi-O, and the Another Riders.
- Speaking of which, the concept of Another Riders was interesting and executed well coming off of Kamen Rider Agito. It is also encourages fans to create their own Another Rider, since possibilities are numerous.
- Although this show has plot holes, a lot of the motivations of changing history/the future makes sense as to why their present. What would you expect from a show that has a time paradox motif?
- The finale of the show was a great way to end the Heisei Era.
- This season made tributes to great Kamen Rider series, such as Kamen Rider Ex-Aid, Kamen Rider Fourze, Kamen Rider Ryuki, and many more. It even made retroactively better some commonly despicable series, such as the latter half of Kamen Rider Hibiki and Kamen Rider Decade.
- The next season, Kamen Rider Zero-One was a great entry to the Reiwa era to come off of Zi-O. A cool production mirror to contemplate.
- Over Quartzer is a banger of an opening. Other scores such as Next New Wφrld and P.A.R.T.Y. ~Universe Festival~ are just as great.
- Characters such as Tsukuyomi and Swartz/Another Decade are very bland and uninteresting, Sougo and Geiz also fall into this category at times.
- Although it makes sense to have plot holes, it can still be frustrating.
- It aired alongside Kishiryu Sentai Ryusoulger, a very boring sentai season. People who don't like Zi-O will qualify early 2019 as the worst Super Hero Time lineup.
- There are other suits that don't look very good and are very unpopular such as WArmor, GaimArmor, FaizArmor, Geiz Majesty, and Decade Complete 21 (if you wanna count that as a Zi-O suit).
- Most of the other villains felt very forgettable as well, especially Hiryu Kakogawa/Another Zi-O who had lots of potential.
- The acting can sometimes feel very flat.
- Some of the tributes didn't feel that well executed. Kamen Rider Ryuki and Kamen Rider Drive for instance.
- It even lacks somes TV tributes, such as Kamen Rider Kuuga and Kamen Rider W.
- While it is a good idea to make Decade appearing from time to time, like a real passing through Kamen Rider, it somehow ruins the original tribute. Cases are Kamen Rider Blade, Kamen Rider Drive, and Kamen Rider Ghost. It would have been better if only the finale was a tribute to Kamen Rider Decade.
- The Movies tribute arc was too long, though it making some sense, Kamen Rider movies being usually longer than 2 episodes.
- Similarly to Kamen Rider Kiva, Zi-O is a very divisive Rider season amongst, and because of that, it also gets a spot on the Terrible TV shows Wiki, for more info, read here.